MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Documentation Bug
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2010-02-23, 05:00 PM)rahlzel Wrote: [ -> ]is it feasible to change the 666 in the documentation to 766 and solve the confusion once and for all

766 would confuse anyone who knows what these numbers actually mean.

Why don't you just correct your error?
(2010-02-23, 05:55 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]The folder will be fine at 755. On my forum I have the folders at 755, the files inside 666, and it is fine. 766 is not needed for anything. A file is a file and a folder is a folder, I'm sure there are many other places where this file/folder differentiation would have to be made if it was going to be changed here.

So you're saying that you're not going to clarify the documentation?
Where would this sort of differentiation stop??

For example, when we say a 'forum' we could be referring to one of many things. The entire board, a category, a child forum, sub forum... they can all be referred to as a 'forum' in some context. And far more people have got confused about that than the difference between a file and a folder, trying to explain that to people is much harder than explaining the difference between a file and folder, and we haven't gone through and made sure that we use 'board', 'category', 'child forum', 'sub forum' in the same context everywhere instead of the generic 'forum', we use forum and assume people know what we're referring to.

Plus this description has been like this for a good while now and I can't think of any other people raising an issue with it, more people have raised an issue with the definition of a 'forum', so by that it would be more worth our time to make sure the definition of a forum is standardised everywhere.

However seeing as I know people will complain if this isn't changed, I'll change it.
(2010-02-23, 05:00 PM)rahlzel Wrote: [ -> ]So my questions, then: is it feasible to change the 666 in the documentation to 766 and solve the confusion once and for all, or will this cause security issues? If it does cause issues, can the doc at least be slightly modified to say "NOT folders"?

I agree the documentation needs clarification. All files and folders under each language pack (such as inc/languages/english/*) should be readable and writable by the web server. Additionally, all folders need to be executable by the web server. This generally means a permission of 755 for folders and 644 for files if the web server owns them or 777 and 666 (respectively) otherwise.
Pages: 1 2