MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How can I change group defaults?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Problem:
I want to change the usergroup settings for all members in certain fields and cannot figure out how to do it.

Specifics:
I want to set everyone's display group to Use Primary User Group.
I also want to set an Additional User Group (custom group).

Is there a way that I can do this without going through them individually?

Also:
On a related note, I want to set Registered Users so that they can select additional user groups, but that option is not available for Registered users like it is for other groups. Is there a setting or template I can modify to add the Publicly Joinable Options to that group?
The settings for joining groups are for the group they'd be joining, i.e. you can say X group can or cannot be joined, you can't let one group join it and another not, you'd need a plugin for that.

Using the primary group would be a simple query... what additional group(s) do you want to add?? Is anybody already in any additional groups??
I already created an additional group called Express. The idea is to set up a joinable group for a few members who don't like all the bells and whistles. This group would have some things disabled to provide a simple atmosphere for their simple minds.

Using a test alias set as a Registered user, I could not join the group because Registered users do not have permission to leave the primary group. I tried to change the checkbox setting, but it is not available in that group's settings. Therefore, my question is; How do I add the "Publicly Joinable Options" settings (checkboxes) to the 'Registered Users' group settings?

As you suggested, I would probably have to run a query to do the following:
1) Set everyone's 'display group' to 'Use Primary User Group'.
2) Set an Additional User Group (custom group) called "Express".

Could you help me with that? I can run a query if someone else writes it and tells me what table to run it in. Big Grin
Bump for help with a query.
Tick the "Yes, users can freely join and leave this group" box in your express group.
Thanks, but that is already checked. The problem is that there is no permission to LEAVE the Registered group. More importantly, those check boxes are not available for editing in the Registered group. Sad
What do you mean? If they can freely join then they have the option to freely leave.
That does not appear to be the case. When I try to change groups it clearly says that I cannot leave the primary group. I click to join Espress, but I still see the chatbox, which is not visible to the Express group.
It doesn't make sense to me either. I'll test is some more.

Edit: O.K. I'm and idiot. I figured it out.
You cannot change groups, you can only join additional groups. Therefore, my idea of making a group with FEWER bells and whistles won't work. I can only ADD stuff. I guess I will scratch that idea.

There is still the other issue to resolve: I want to set all members' display group to 'Use Primary User Group'. Like Matt said, I need to run a query. Only problem is I don't know how to write such a thing.

http://mississippi-mud.com
UPDATE `mybb_users` SET `displaygroup` = '0';
(2010-03-02, 11:01 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]
UPDATE `mybb_users` SET `displaygroup` = '0';

Worked like a charm. Thank you so much!
Now, when a member subscribes and gets moved to the Contributor group, it will show them as such. If thier subsciption runs out, it will automatically reset them to Registered. I was having to do that manually.
You're a lifesaver, Matt.