MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Custom profile field in post bit?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
No problem. The search pisses me off sometimes Toungue
Why isn't all this in the wiki? I find it easier to find topics in the wiki than the forum.
I think it's because the Wiki is mainly just telling you how to use the software, not modify it.
I think I might make a thread that has all of the links to all of the different tutorials to make them easier to find Big Grin
Thanks. I don't think we need specific tutorials though. Just things like template variables and language phrases (how to edit, add etc.).

I could have figured this out had I known the variable used to access the user profile characters
I must clarify: I know enough PHP/MySQL/SQLite to write my own blog software. But I'm a bit nervous when hacking other people's code.

Sorry for giving the impression that I wanted to be spoonfed, but really a bit more detailed documentation on template replacement vars and language substitution would be nice.

My BB is a complex and powerful system.
The wiki is mainly intended as a reference for utilizing default functionality and although Joshee was a bit blunt about it searching first would have saved you some time waiting for people to reply here Wink Sometimes if the built in MyBB search isn't finding your answer google site search can help.

I know Joshee already posted this link but this tutorial http://community.mybboard.net/thread-41233.html will show you everything you need to do.
Thanks. I did search both google and the forum search but I couldn't find the topic. But the better solution would be to place tutorials and richer content in the wiki, not the forum. The forum is an awkward place to look for information because of the sheer mass of threads and topics posted. It's not suitable for organizing documentation. That's why we have wikis and CMSes.

Also the above thread doesn't give me a comprehensive list of template variables. What I'm asking is that MyBB should document the template variables better etc. so that editing templates and customizing them is much easier. We don't need specific guides on "how to add gender to postbit" etc. A generalized guide on template customization would be much better and this would include a list of variables that we can use to add content to templates.

Wiki is much better to navigate and find solutions. Forum is suited better for question and answers. I think there should be a separate developer wiki reference guide. Right now the developer documentation in the wiki is sketchy and very basic. I am also looking to write plugins and so far, I'm finding it tough to refer to mybb related functions. Functions listed in the wiki should also have the guide to parameters.
I definitely agree that a Wiki is easier to navigate for information than a forum but unfortunately some other people don't see it like this so there was a bit of disagreement from some members towards the wiki. Not enough people look at the wiki before they go to the forums either unfortunately.

About template variables, the problem is that not all variables will work in all templates, it just depends on whether that variable is defined in the instance where that template is used. I have a small plugin which I posted the code to here http://community.mybboard.net/thread-655...70912.html which will output the MyBB global variables and they should be accessible in most templates. Only use that plugin on a test board as it will kill your board and just display a list of global variables when it is active.
Thanks. I will take a look at that.
Pages: 1 2