MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 404 Not Found
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I've a feeling this problem is going to be host related, if I was you I'd be asking them to look into this more closely.
(2010-03-04, 10:12 PM)lufbra Wrote: [ -> ]I've a feeling this problem is going to be host related, if I was you I'd be asking them to look into this more closely.

Is there anything I should tell them? Any advice?
Can you create addon domains? What happens if you make an addon domain under your hosting account and upload a file, do you get a 500 error then? Either way, contact your host.
From the error log, this still looks like a permission problem.

As a test, try copying the text below into a file (use wordpad NOT notepad) and call it index2.php. Upload it to your public_html directory and make sure the permission is set to 644. Then go to thehelpforums.net/index2.php with your browser. You will see a real stupid looking "Security Check" that will show your IP and browser.

If that works look at the permission of ALL your files and folders and make sure EVERY ONE matches the installation instructions for MyBB

<?php

// Build message.

$message = PHP_EOL . PHP_EOL . "---- ". PHP_EOL . "Your IP is " . $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] . PHP_EOL .  " --- " . "Agent =  " . $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'];

$now = "Submitted on " . date("l, F d, Y") . " at " . date("g:i:s a");

?>

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

<html><head><title>checking</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
</head>
<body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000">

<div><center>
<?php
echo $now; 
echo "<br /><br />";
?>

<table BORDER="0" CELLSPACING="4" width="100%" bgcolor="2222AA">
<tr><td>
<table border="2" width="100%" align="center" bgcolor="EEFFEE">
<tr><td center> •</td>

<td width="80%"><center>
<font face="Helvetica,Algerian" size="6" color="#990000">security check</font></td>
<td center>•</td>
</tr></table>

</td></tr></table>
<!-- end of header-->
<center>
<br><br>

<b>Hello  </b> 
<?php
echo $message; 
echo "<br /><br />";
?>

<hr width="80%">
<br>
</center>

</center>
</div>

</body></html>
(2010-03-05, 12:04 AM)Firestar Wrote: [ -> ]Is there anything I should tell them? Any advice?

The error log shows referer and Google within it's content, do you have anything related to them within your forum....plugins/add on's or whatever? If not tell your host and ask them to explain why those words are showing up in the error logs.
(2010-03-05, 02:13 AM)Gene_RI Wrote: [ -> ]From the error log, this still looks like a permission problem.

As a test, try copying the text below into a file (use wordpad NOT notepad) and call it index2.php. Upload it to your public_html directory and make sure the permission is set to 644. Then go to thehelpforums.net/index2.php with your browser. You will see a real stupid looking "Security Check" that will show your IP and browser.

If that works look at the permission of ALL your files and folders and make sure EVERY ONE matches the installation instructions for MyBB

<?php

// Build message.

$message = PHP_EOL . PHP_EOL . "---- ". PHP_EOL . "Your IP is " . $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] . PHP_EOL .  " --- " . "Agent =  " . $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'];

$now = "Submitted on " . date("l, F d, Y") . " at " . date("g:i:s a");

?>

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

<html><head><title>checking</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
</head>
<body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000">

<div><center>
<?php
echo $now; 
echo "<br /><br />";
?>

<table BORDER="0" CELLSPACING="4" width="100%" bgcolor="2222AA">
<tr><td>
<table border="2" width="100%" align="center" bgcolor="EEFFEE">
<tr><td center> •</td>

<td width="80%"><center>
<font face="Helvetica,Algerian" size="6" color="#990000">security check</font></td>
<td center>•</td>
</tr></table>

</td></tr></table>
<!-- end of header-->
<center>
<br><br>

<b>Hello  </b> 
<?php
echo $message; 
echo "<br /><br />";
?>

<hr width="80%">
<br>
</center>

</center>
</div>

</body></html>

I did that exactly as you said and when I visit thehelpforums.net/index2.php I still get the same 500 and 404 errors. Sad
(2010-03-05, 03:25 AM)lufbra Wrote: [ -> ]....ask them to explain why those words are showing up in the error logs.
Looks like someone did a Google search using those words - follow the link back to Google from the log and you will see a Google search.

The Google search has his site as one of several results. If you click on the Google cached results you see this:

This is Google's cache of http://thehelpforums.net/showthread.php?tid=34&pid=448. It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared on 17 Feb 2010 04:27:06 GMT.

Evidently the site worked ok on February 17 when Google crawled the site. There is nothing suspicious about that, just that someone tried to follow a Google link and the site returned the "server error".
I also want to point out that, fr some reason I can still access cPanel. Could this mean anything?
(2010-03-05, 03:59 AM)Firestar Wrote: [ -> ]....... I did that exactly as you said and when I visit thehelpforums.net/index2.php I still get the same 500 and 404 errors. Sad
If you used wordpad and saved it as a text document, without the formating, and the first line of the file has <?php and you uploaded it using FTP as an ASCII file then you may need to open a ticket with your host and ask them why that stand alone file gives an error. Ask them if your php.ini file is corrupt. The php.ini should be in your /public_html/ directory and have permission set at 644.
(2010-03-05, 04:22 AM)Firestar Wrote: [ -> ]I also want to point out that, fr some reason I can still access cPanel. Could this mean anything?
c-Panel is actually not on your server, it only looks like it is! You can use the File Manager in c-Panel to look at your files and make sure there are no extra files, set permissions, and edit files, and also see what version of PHP the server is running.

Did you try uploading a simple HTML page and see if that will run?
(2010-03-05, 04:22 AM)Gene_RI Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-03-05, 03:59 AM)Firestar Wrote: [ -> ]....... I did that exactly as you said and when I visit thehelpforums.net/index2.php I still get the same 500 and 404 errors. Sad
... Ask them if your php.ini file is corrupt. The php.ini should be in your /public_html/ directory and have permission set at 644.

I looked everywhere in my account and I didn't find a php.ini anywhere. Could that be the problem?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6