MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Developement VPSs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
cPanel users also have jailshells by default AFAIK.
cPanel has a checkbox in WHM for jailed shells by default. Pretty much jailed shells are user accounts with restricted access set by the server admin. It creates a duplicate of the server's file system by symlink to a specified directory. So if you setup your server to use /usr/jail as your directory, when a user logs in they will see the server the same way as you do when you login but when they change a file like /home/username/file it will actually be changing the file on /usr/jail/home/username/file.

One thing to remember is that if you edit something from the /usr/jail as root, it will edit the actual file too (never do "rm -rf *"on your jailed shell directory as root... what a headache!). Wink
Free VPSs? :s
Right now only 2 in use... but more to come. Big Grin
(2010-03-06, 09:32 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]cPanel has a checkbox in WHM for jailed shells by default. Pretty much jailed shells are user accounts with restricted access set by the server admin. It creates a duplicate of the server's file system by symlink to a specified directory. So if you setup your server to use /usr/jail as your directory, when a user logs in they will see the server the same way as you do when you login but when they change a file like /home/username/file it will actually be changing the file on /usr/jail/home/username/file.

One thing to remember is that if you edit something from the /usr/jail as root, it will edit the actual file too (never do "rm -rf *"on your jailed shell directory as root... what a headache!). Wink

Thank you very much. Also i am not upgradingh my servers/ram/cpu and paying tons of cash to make jailed shells Toungue
Direct Admin is cheaper and requires less resources Toungue.
(2010-03-07, 03:28 AM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]Direct Admin is cheaper and requires less resources Toungue.

Could it run on a pentium 3?
Yea, but it doesn't support my version of freebsd. :/
What are you using?
Pages: 1 2 3 4