MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Windows Problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Someone brought a computer into the library, saying that they didn't know the password or username (It's set to enter both the username and password)

I for the love of God can't figure out how to get into it.

I've tried every family name, every default name, I've tried reformatting the computer but there was no option, and I searched online.

Anyone have any ideas?

(It's an EEE PC Netbook)
Reformatting the computer would require removing the OS thus reinstalling one to use it Toungue.

So if you already reinstalled windows try just Adminstrator without a password.
There are ways to reset passwords if you can boot off another media (probably USB since I don't think the netbook has an optical drive). Reformatting will require you to also boot from another media (you can format a harddrive that's being used).
Sounds like the computer is stolen if you ask me 0_0 I would take note of the computers serial number and try and get some contact details from them in case you hear of a stolen netbook around the place.

On topic though, there are linux distributions that have Windows password recovery software so maybe you could make a live USB version an boot to it.
I believe there is a way to get in through cmd to get the password. Then I believe there was some way to get to cmd without booting up completely. Can't remember everything though. I use Linux now.
http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

Great software. Create new, edit and delete users through this tiny linux image Toungue
It's not stolen Wink

It belonged to this one person who bought a mac and gave it to this other person who then brought it into me.

I'll try a Linux Distro and see how that works out.
The only thing that (works) can break password is ERD commander.