MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to Get Info Off Your Desktop When it Won't Start!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This may not work in all cases such as when your HDD ( Hard Drive) itself Fails.

Things You'll Need:

* Screw driver
* Gloves(optional)
* Another computer
* Cup or dish(optional)

Step 1

Find and remove all screws on the back of your computer. Place the screws in your cup or dish for safekeeping.

Step 2

Carefully remove the side panels on your computer, and place them well to the side out of your way.

Step 3

You should see a cable that looks like strands of spaghetti stuck together. If you follow the cable you will get to a circuit board, and the other way you will get the hard drive.

Step 4

Next, remove all cords and cables coming out of the hard drive.

Step 5

To remove the hard drive you may need to unscrew some screws or you might only need to pull a tab. Check the sides of your hard drive to see. If you see screws coming out of the sides, you probably need to unscrew them. If you see a tab or lever around the side of your hard drive pull them and see if you can pull you hard drive free.

Step 6

Congratulations, You have now removed your hard drive! The next step is to put it in a working computer. Get your working computer, and turn it off,and unplug it. Remove the screws on the back and put them in an empty container. now find the hard drive again and locate the cable. Check to see if it has a vacant slot. If so, then plug that into your hard drive along with the power cord.

Step 7

Secure your newly placed hard drive into the computer.

Step 8

Place the panels back on your computer and plug it in. Hit the power switch to turn it on. Once you get to your desktop click on the "My Computer" icon or go to the start menu and click "My Computer". You will get a window with all the drives connected to you computer. Now look for the recently added drive, and right click on it, and then explore. you will now have all your documents, programs, and photos from your old computer.

In you computer you may see up to three cables that look like the one in the photograph, but if you look closely one will be smaller. This is the cable for your floppy disk and is not the right one. the other two are the same size. Follow them both, and if it goes to a bigger device, it is not the hard drive. A hard drive is typically about the size of your hand, and 3/4 inch thick.
Beware of sharp edges when dealing with computers. Many of the components are sharp and can cut you. I am not responsible for any damages caused to you or your computer. Do at your own risk!
An easier way to get your crap off a dying Windows installation is to download an Arch live cd, and move your important stuff to an online storage service, or other drive/partition. Also, not everyone has two computers.
(2010-03-07, 06:26 AM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]An easier way to get your crap off a dying Windows installation is to download an Arch live cd, and move your important stuff to an online storage service, or other drive/partition. Also, not everyone has two computers.

You should write a tutorial. That sounds like a good idea!
(2010-03-07, 06:27 AM)Firestar Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-03-07, 06:26 AM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]An easier way to get your crap off a dying Windows installation is to download an Arch live cd, and move your important stuff to an online storage service, or other drive/partition. Also, not everyone has two computers.

I may in a bit. You could sign up for a web hosting free trial, temporarily store all your crap on their server til you fix your Windows install, then cancel the trial Smile
(2010-03-07, 06:30 AM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]

I may in a bit. You could sign up for a web hosting free trial, temporarily store all your crap on their server til you fix your Windows install, then cancel the trial Smile

Most free webhosts don't have the amount of space needed though.
(2010-03-07, 06:31 AM)Firestar Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-03-07, 06:30 AM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]

Most free webhosts don't have the amount of space needed though.

Trial. An external hard drive would be more secure, though.
Nice copy and paste: http://www.ehow.com/how_5430082_info-com...start.html

In response to your post to inform me that you wrote that ehow tutorial (why you couldn't just PM me I don't know), this tutorial is not relevant here and there is no need to duplicate content. If people have this problem they can just find it on ehow.