MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Admin url
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Alright. I would like to have my admin url changed.
And I can do this by simply renaming the admin index.php file to admin.php, and it will still work.
However, the entire ACP (meaning the tabbed menus) will still redirect to index.php, and will provide a 404 page not found error.

What exactly do I need to do to change this so that all ACP options and links direct to admin.php?
Don't bother trying to edit everything so admin.php works instead, you can rename the admin folder itself and then also edit the setting in ./inc/config.php to specify what that new name is.
Thank you. That actually does help a little.

Edit: I appreciate the extra edit, Matt.
But I would also like for the index.php to be changed too, if it's possible.
You'll just need to find every instance of index.php in every admin file and change it. Really don't see the point in doing it though, you'll just be creating more work for yourself whenever an admin file is changed in an update.
The only part that I want to say admin.php is the url to get into the ACP. The part where you have to login.
I have no clue how to change it though.

Can you tell me where I need to go to edit it?
Create a separate file named admin.php that runs index.php and then disallow direct initialization of index.php? That's a question - I don't know.

In all honesty, I can't see where any of this has a purpose. Generally if you're just wanting to type or link to "admin.php" instead of "index.php" (which I cannot understand a reason for) I would think you could simply create a redirect (either using code in the file named admin.php or with some other settings such as .htaccess or the server's settings).
Yep dont worry about index.php vs admin.php. You should change the admin folder.
Thats the critical part. Then perhaps find the fake admin plugin and use that.
Works well for me.
Guess you could just change it in the .htaccess file inside your admin folder though?
If it's just a "security" thing, so that you have to type in or have a link directly to the actual file, you could set it so that it looked for something other than "index" as the index/main page of the directory... can't remember how to do that right off the top of my head right now though.
I fail to see the point thought. You will have direct links in your forum to whatever the url is anyway yes?
Like ADMIN CONTROL PANEL...... CLICK HERE sort of thing.
Linking where ever it wants to. Be it index.php or even labroccasux.php
The problem if i am not mistaken is most know and expect to go to /admin and from that they try access it.
If you have changed that and there is no VISIBLE links to any member to the new url and its blocked in the robots.txt file etc. I cant see the problem.
This coupled with a few other things works well i think.
The fake admin page which emails admin.
Also the board shutdown should anyone outside the config becomes admin.
Works ok for me anyways.
(2010-03-09, 09:09 AM)DAMINK Wrote: [ -> ]If you have changed that and there is no VISIBLE links to any member to the new url and its blocked in the robots.txt file etc. I cant see the problem.
Not a good idea for the real directory. Fine for fake ones, though.

robots.txt is publicly available. ANYONE can read it - human and robot alike. Also, I've read about bots designed to read it to look for places to go...not sure how accurate that reading was but still doesn't seem great since I can open up your robots.txt file in my browser randomly.
Pages: 1 2