MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: I need very simple plugin ideas
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello!

So I want to start getting into making plugins for MyBB, but I need a very simple/simple idea to get me going. I had an idea, but I found out that it would only work with my theme Sad So just post any ideas that you have.
Your welcome to turn this code into a plugin: http://community.mybboard.net/thread-661...#pid475524

I am sure ladyunicornejg would appreciate it and it would be a relatively simple plugin and would let you get an understanding of the hook system.
(2010-03-14, 12:08 PM)TimB. Wrote: [ -> ]Your welcome to turn this code into a plugin: http://community.mybboard.net/thread-661...#pid475524

I am sure ladyunicornejg would appreciate it and it would be a relatively simple plugin and would let you get an understanding of the hook system.

Yeah, actually I would. I can put the code in the files myself, but I don't like touching the code because I know I really don't have a clue what I'm doing with php yet. I successfully destroyed a phpBB forum multiple times trying to put in modifications.
(2010-03-14, 12:08 PM)TimB. Wrote: [ -> ]Your welcome to turn this code into a plugin: http://community.mybboard.net/thread-661...#pid475524

Alright, thanks. I think I will try that.
That is what I am afraid to do all the time with PHP, but, as I start to screw around with stuff, I learn on how to make it work. So, I guess I learn by screwing something up and then going back and fixing it...

Now that I look at it, I have no idea what the problem that ladyunicornejg was having is. I don't quite understand what was said. If someone could give me an explanation, that would be great.
The only problem I had was someone tried to register with a fake birthdate (over 100 years old) for coppa compliance. When they entered the birthdate, it accepted them (because it was over 13) and allowed them to load the registration form. When they attempted to submit the registration form it then decided to tell them their birthdate was wrong and had to be corrected. The issue was that, if it's going to disallow birthdates past a certain date, it should be where they have a chance to fix it not when they've finished the second page.

As for issues putting the code in...there really isn't one. It's not even laziness, it's simply I don't trust myself. I'm currently even failing to get a plugin to delete a settings group. I've taken down forums by attempting to change the actual php files, so I don't like doing it if I can avoid it. I don't even like attempting to write this other plugin myself, but I need certain features that are not available at the moment and so far no one has been willing to do it (and I don't have substantial enough funds to actually offer to pay someone to code it specifically for me).
(2010-03-22, 09:22 PM)ladyunicornejg Wrote: [ -> ]The only problem I had was someone tried to register with a fake birthdate (over 100 years old) for coppa compliance. When they entered the birthdate, it accepted them (because it was over 13) and allowed them to load the registration form. When they attempted to submit the registration form it then decided to tell them their birthdate was wrong and had to be corrected. The issue was that, if it's going to disallow birthdates past a certain date, it should be where they have a chance to fix it not when they've finished the second page.

As for issues putting the code in...there really isn't one. It's not even laziness, it's simply I don't trust myself. I'm currently even failing to get a plugin to delete a settings group. I've taken down forums by attempting to change the actual php files, so I don't like doing it if I can avoid it. I don't even like attempting to write this other plugin myself, but I need certain features that are not available at the moment and so far no one has been willing to do it (and I don't have substantial enough funds to actually offer to pay someone to code it specifically for me).
Have you tried installing a test forum and experimenting with plugins, codes, and the like on it? That way, you can learn...but to no interference of your live forum.
To an extent, that's what I am doing right now with this plugin I am (epic) failing at. The test forum is in a sense live as well (I do far too much to run an emulated server on top of it on my poor little laptop), but it's of no actual importance and was put up specifically for me to test things. Initially I was doing it to test more minor things - theme modifications, whether or not a plugin would interfere with something I already had, make sure plugins I wasn't 100% sure of caused no problems, etc. - but lately it's come in very handy.

The previously mentioned code is of little importance though. It's a matter of how I think it should work VS how it actually works, but not in any way that actually interferes with anything for normal users or staff. Had I decided "I want to learn how to make plugins" I might have used it as something to start with, but I'm working on one out of necessity for a certain set of features, not desire to learn how. Of course the fact I won't take the time to fight with that also leaves me thinking it'd be pretty silly for me to insist someone else should at any given time...but if someone wants to do it then by all means - it would be nice for me.
(2010-03-22, 09:14 PM)Tierney Wrote: [ -> ]Now that I look at it, I have no idea what the problem that ladyunicornejg was having is. I don't quite understand what was said. If someone could give me an explanation, that would be great.

To give a quick synopsis of ladyunicornejg's wall of text:

She wants it to warn users that they have entered a ridiculous birth date the step after they enter it rather than 2 steps later after when they have taken the time to fill out the rest of the registration form (which annoys people because they have waisted their time).

Its not a revolutionary plugin but it would be an easy place to start.
Pages: 1 2