MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Few questions before I decide to switch to MyBB from vB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

I'm testing MyBB with a converted vB forum. I've run MyBB back when it was 1.0 and things look pretty good.

Can someone answer the following questions?

1. Thread subscription was on for all migrated members. I used SQL command to turn that off per a tip via google. I read that this 'feature' was going to be turned off for the next version. I'd like to confirm I am not missing something in Settings that I can have all users past and future not automatically subscribe.
I'd like it to have the following options:
Do not subscribe
Subscribe with no notification
Instant email notification
Daily email notification
Weekly email notification

2. Member's Age and birthdate are showing. I have to edit the template to kill that? Again, I want to make sure there isn't a toggle in Settings for that.
Both your questions have settings on a user by user basis in their UCP, so members can chose what they prefer.

UCP > Edit options > Default Thread Subscription Mode, they have several options there. Members can also chose to override their default subscription mode when making a thread using the full reply.

UCP > Edit profile > Date of Birth Privacy, again there are several options.

Is that what you meant?
Thank you. I saw that users could edit those settings in their User CP. I would though prefer that by default, both be off. In the case of Thread Subscription Mode, I issued an SQL command to turn that off.

As an admin, I'd like the overall ability to NOT allow anyone to subscribe to a thread, or to at least reduce the amount of emails the system sends out to let people know of new thread posts.

By the way, I compared the amount of tables in vB to MyBB. MyBB was less. Cool. But the overall DB size was about 6MB larger with MySQL. (I optimized both DBs.)

If any core dev is reading this, could you comment on the Search functions of MyBB? This was one of the complaints my users had with vB. Though as an admin, I had a lot of settings to be tweaked with vBulletin search.

Back to the question... One user reported waiting 56 seconds to find the word 'Cocoa'. Another user reported it was almost instant. Is it building a search index for all users or for each user? Any caching??? etc etc

And last question. Any 'pro' theme designers releasing for MyBB?
As for your last question, there are some lovely afresh themes. They're completely free and worth getting, there are also a lot of choices. So, find one that works for you. Smile

http://community.mybboard.net/thread-31174.html
There are loads of themes available. Here is just one pro theme website I came across:

http://nanoskinners.com/

I'm sure you could get somebody to produce results equal to them without it costing you anything.
If you switched from VB you might like this theme that looks very similar to vb : http://community.mybboard.net/thread-37608.html

Hope you choose MyBB as it has everything and more !
Yeah, Mybb is definitely the better forum. I actually find it to be the best forum I've ever used. Trust me, I've used quite a few. Toungue
If search is an issue which will depend on the size of your DB. I suggest you set your default to search titles only. This will minimize load and most people won't alter default settings. The change is a simple template edit in admincp.

I run about 3 million posts with MyBB at HackForums.net and MyBB has held up fairly well imho. I have run large VB sites and you will need more hardware that if you run MyBB.
(2010-03-15, 11:29 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]If search is an issue which will depend on the size of your DB. I suggest you set your default to search titles only. This will minimize load and most people won't alter default settings. The change is a simple template edit in admincp.

I run about 3 million posts with MyBB at HackForums.net and MyBB has held up fairly well imho. I have run large VB sites and you will need more hardware that if you run MyBB.
How in the world did you get so popular!?
I imagine the name being so obvious helps get users. MyBB is fantastic, its simple yet you can do just about anything you want with it. PHPbb isn't bad but it seems harder to use. I don't see why anyone pays for IBP or VB when the free software can do just as much, if not more to a better quality. You probably even get better support as so many people use the free software.
Pages: 1 2