MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Cheap Dedicated Servers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[shamelessplug]
Not sure what specs you need but if you want a VPS I can set you up with one for cheap. Wink
[/shamelessplug]
I'm not saying steadfast is bad but well starting at $110 is far from the cheapest.
When you say "private forum" is that something that you're going to have a TOS problem with anyone?

And what's a good amount a traffic? You would be surprised how much traffic a reliable shared host can handle. I have dozens of sites at Dreamhost with very few problems for about $10 a month.

Keep in mind servers are additional hassle and if you're not going to need one then don't get one. If the income isn't there either then don't get one yet. It's likely that if you're site is only making $100 a month or less then it should be on a shared host.
(2010-03-18, 04:31 PM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not saying steadfast is bad but well starting at $110 is far from the cheapest.

I'd rather go with Steadfast than some of the other cheaper providers out there. In the past, I've received quotes from some of the budget dedicated server companies (HiVelocity, BURST etc), and although they are perfectly reasonable, you lose out as far as the facility and network goes. SteadFast have some incredible connectivity and peering, host their clients in Chicago's 350 East Cermak data centre, a major carrier hotel, and are known to have great support.

IMHO I would rather go with a provider who puts a priority on packaging great hardware, support, connectivity and a nice facility together - as soon as that criteria is met, that's when I believe a service is good value. Note the word value - cheap may be good, but if you're not going to have a good customer experience, then I'd rather spend a bit more get some peace of mind!

You may find that if you contact the more expensive/upmarket suppliers directly (and indeed some of the budget ones), you will be able to get a really nice discount on the service you desire.

Best of luck!
He said he was looking for the cheapest and there is plenty cheaper than that Toungue. That's all I'm saying. He's probably looking for something that's unmanaged to help cut down on the costs.

I have a $10 VPS and I'm happy with it. It's unmanaged but I have tested the ticket system and got amazing response time. Besides most hosts just buy space in the larger datacenters.

Again I'm not saying there is a problem with steadfast. Just that he's probably looking for something cheaper. I've never used them so can't say their horrible or great. I would assume great because of people recommending them but I honestly don't know.
@NetSage - I only posted my previous message on the grounds that I feel that there are two kinds of cheap - one where you compromise on your experience, and another which represents good value where you can also get good service.

You do have a point - the OP is after a low priced service, but I'm just trying to make it clear that you don't want to sacrifice. Let's say a hard disk fails at 2AM - you want someone out on the crash cart fixing it right away, and so good support is key.
Ok, just saying you can usually find quality at a cheaper price too. Although make sure someone recommends it Toungue.
I am following Labrocca's suggestion. I haven't been on the site for months, and I presumed the bandwidth, diskspace, and total resources had increased but it hadn't, so I don't need a dedicated server Toungue
Steadfast is definitely great at failed hardware replacements.
I got an excellent free upgrade due to one, no additional charge of course.
Pages: 1 2