MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: The Captcha Thing!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Guys,

Looking for a board/forum which will not have massive traffic, but my current very simple one is being hammered by inapproriate messages. Angry

Like the look of MyBB, and noticed when signed up it needs a captcha activation. How effective do you really find this as a prevention measure for dumb posters clogging up your boards? Huh

And also, I should be able to embed MyBB into an existing webpage? I'm OK with HTML and editing templates usually Dodgy
It depends how the accounts are registered. If it's a bot, it should be quite effective, if a human registers them and then passes them over for a bot to use, nothing on the registration page can stop them, as a human would be able to easily solve anything.
Captcha is a measure that prevents spam bots, machines that can not (be bothered to) read images. If you are dealing with humans (no matter how dumb) it won't help you. For that you need other measures such as moderation, bans, ip filters, etc.

Of course you can edit templates to make MyBB design fit your existing webpage.
(2010-03-18, 01:06 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]It depends how the accounts are registered. If it's a bot, it should be quite effective, if a human registers them and then passes them over for a bot to use, nothing on the registration page can stop them, as a human would be able to easily solve anything.

Thanks Matt, sounds like this may help Rolleyes

(2010-03-18, 01:08 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]Captcha is a measure that prevents spam bots, machines that can not (be bothered to) read images. If you are dealing with humans (no matter how dumb) it won't help you. For that you need other measures such as moderation, bans, ip filters, etc.

Of course you can edit templates to make MyBB design fit your existing webpage.

And thanks again, I think I will go and play with MyBB on a test page or two to see how I get on. I hope you're all gentle with newbies Big Grin and "dumb" questions when I hit problems? Smile
If your spammers usually appear in this database http://stopforumspam.com/ then my plugin can help you http://mods.mybboard.net/view/stopforums...m-for-mybb

The Akismet plugin that comes with MyBB can also help but it can be quite aggressive in its scanning so you need to be on the watch for false positives.