MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Advanced User & Group Permissions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since no one seems too interested here, I've set up a lot of this myself. The things in italics are the ones I have managed to take care of. Strikethrough represents having found a plugin already in existence that works for it.

Would it be possible for someone to make a plugin (or plugins) that sets up permissions for the following:

- Signatures
-- Based either on groups or individual users, allows permission to use (or simply edit) signatures to be revoked.

-- Similar to signatures - allow permission to use avatars to be given or taken based on groups (or for individual users).

- Post Moderation
-- Moderates the posts of a user (or all members in a certain group) without using warning levels (I already have the warning system set up on one site and don't currently wish to change it)

Less important features:
(these aren't a huge deal if they can't/won't be done right now, but I would like to have them)

- User Permissions
-- Everything listed above able to be done on a per-user basis instead of having to create a group and move the users to that group.

- PM System
-- Setting to disable PM's for an individual user. Specifically, to prevent them from sending messages (such as after abusing the system).

- Reputation System
-- Setting(s) to disable all or part (giving) of the reputation system for an individual user. Another case of "it would be nice not to have to create a group for this" and primarily useful in the case of the system being abused.

- Custom User Title (can't find a hook)
-- Setting/permission to allow/disallow custom user titles for specific people without changing their group.

Other Details

- Any plugin that already exists to do part or all of this is fine. Believe it or not, I have looked in the ACP for a way to do this then looked for plugins here and on MyBB Central...but I only found one that would allow signatures to be disabled for groups. I am aware that I may just be stupidly missing something though.
- I'm pretty sure I've seen a plugin to do some of this before, but it was for an old version and I can't even find that now.
- Free would be preferred (is it ever not?), partially because I really hate pointing people to a pay site with a message like "I got this from here, but it costs $ to get it" especially for things that seem like they should already be possible.
- The ability to modify and redistribute would be preferred - as with above, I prefer not to have to tell someone "I can easily change this, but I'm not allowed to edit it at all." While I don't know what I'm doing well enough to make them, I can edit a few simple things that I actually know others who cannot or are afraid to.
- I would need to be able to use it on multiple sites.

- I have a subscription to MyBB Central already. Anywhere else I would need to subscribe.
- Any payment will take a few days to process as my paypal account is strictly connected to a bank account now (and without a credit/debit card attached, they wait to pay out until after they receive money).

"Why do you need this?"
To be able to revoke certain readily abused items as listed above.

"If they're abusing the system, why not just ban them?"
1) Not all abuse necessarily warrants a ban IMO.
2) The audience of one of my sites may well need to be able to talk (which the ability of is greatly reduced when they're banned), despite having done something like continually put a huge, annoying signature up.
3) If it's bad enough, should they be able to use the feature immediately after returning from a ban?

"Why not use the warning system for post moderation?"
1) I don't like having to go into the database to end it early and
2) I already have the warning system set up on one of my sites, and it would be rather annoying to change settings to start post moderation for someone then change them back, especially if it was needed frequently.
(2010-03-19, 11:11 AM)ladyunicornejg Wrote: [ -> ]- Post Moderation
-- Moderates the posts of a user (or all members in a certain group) without using warning levels (I already have the warning system set up on one site and don't currently wish to change it)

I think you need to try Yumi's Moderated Usergroup(s) plugin:

http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/showthread.php?tid=262
Simple, but effective. Thank you.

Not going to bump this right now, but I will note that I'd still like this done - especially on a per-user basis. I'm in the process of studying some various plugins (some related and others not) and probably crashing my test forum a few times to see if I can create any working version of this myself.
Hmm... it's beginning to look like I'm the only one (here anyway) interested in this. I may have to do this myself - not really great considering I haven't got an actual clue what I'm doing. Oh well...at least I have a place I can afford to destroy with my failed attempts in the process.
I want this too, hopefully someone will do it!