MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Sluggishness: Hosting or code?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Over the last few weeks my guild's forum has gone from sluggish to practically unavailable at times. I've made no code changes other than to do more compression after this started. Everything seems to be an SQL issue. The forum is small and not very active www.sodalityguild.org/forums . We're a tiny guild and might generate 10 posts a day.

Our hosting is godaddy and they swear up and down it isn't on their end and that they cannot replicate the issue which I find hard to believe. Everyone else can!

I've been watching the messages at the bottom of the forum to track "times when it is slow" for them.

14:21

Generated in 36.0449769 seconds (0.42% PHP / 99.58% MySQL)
SQL Queries: 24 / Global Parsing Time: 24.0214128 / Memory Usage: 3 MB
PHP version: 5.2.5 / Server Load: / GZip Compression: Enabled

14:22

Generated in 22.4091010 seconds (0.67% PHP / 99.33% MySQL)
SQL Queries: 60 / Global Parsing Time: 10.0592830 / Memory Usage: 3.5 MB

14:38

Generated in 58.4403992 seconds (0.18% PHP / 99.82% MySQL)
SQL Queries: 22 / Global Parsing Time: 48.6668451 / Memory Usage: 2.75 MB

At this point I don't know what to do. Is this something with MyBB or is it just the fact that their SQL servers are probably over taxed? Our contract expires very soon and I'm not adverse to moving it someone has a US based suggestion.

Thank you!
About 8000 posts and 1,000 threads.
You're right, your database can't be very big.

It took a little while to initially load for me, but once I was in, it seems to operate just fine.

I ran a WHOIS on your domain, and it returned with this:
Reverse IP:
2,438 other sites hosted on this server.

While usually small sites can run along side with others on shared hosting, another may be causing problems that are affecting yours.

There are 2,438 other sites on the same server as yours. If they're getting a malicious attack, it could potentially slow down your page as well.
Two and a half thousand sites on your server?? Yeah, it's that. Overselling gone mad IMO. There's absolutely no reason for you to have these load time on a forum of your size other than an overcrowded server.
Thank you two for posting. My assumption was that they were over selling that SQL server and that was the reason. I'll get on the phone with them tonight and take them to task.

I didn't figure a tiny little organization like ours could bring the place to its knees.
Yeah I doubt you'll get anywhere, GoDaddy's too big. I had bad customer service from them so I left.

I suggest you do the same.