MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: blank page - other threads no help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Sorry to start a thread on a topic that seems to have been done to death. But all the thread responses on this issue do not work for me. It has been several days of trying to fix this, and I should have chucked this system as unworkable, but a good friend refered me to it so I am trying to make it work, especially as I have frustrated him also in trying to solve it.

I have the latest mybb 1.03 and have also previously tried the earlier version 1.02.

History of my install attempts:
1) I have a psuedo linux server called slampp installed on my network. I installed mybb versions 1.02 and 1.03 on that server without any problem and they worked fine.

2) My internet service provider (ISP) install attempts

2A) Windows to ISP: I installed mybb versions 1.02 and 1.03 on my ISP server without any problem but on going to the isp mybb folder by several different browsers (Firefox 1.07, 1.5 and IE) all I get is a blank page. But if I go to the admin folder for mybb I can access the full admin settings features. I used seperate folders and tables for each installation and only tried both as first tried 1.02 and failed.

2B) Linux (slampp) to ISP: I installed mybb versions 1.02 and 1.03 on my ISP server without any problem but on going to the isp mybb folder by Firefox 1.07, all I get is a blank page. But if I go to the admin folder for mybb I can access the full admin settings features.

3) I meticulously went through the following to verify settings for any differences between slampp server and ISP installations:

3A) Correct number of files installed and key files and total files sized looked correct. same number of tables installed on all non-ISP working and ISP non-working versions

3B) Permissions on files and folders (YES agreed working versions on slampp to ISP: a great deal of work) Whilst a few diferrences found between windows and slampp driven install, after changes to correct there were no positive results

3C) Opened config.php and settings.php files to compare settings (there are a lot to check). Whilst a few diferrences found between windows and slampp driven install, after changes to correct there were no positive results

3D) Viewed source of all resulting installations' blank pages and they were also blank

4) I tried second installs to new ISP folders and MySQL table prefixes and then deleted all folders and tables and started again. No change as ended with blank forums page

5) I talked another friend into letting me install it on their ISP server - it worked first go!

History of mybb forum thread failures:
1) All comments re "did I go through the correct install process"? I followed the install.html file to the letter and it said it was installed correctly. I deleted install directory and secure changed permissions on config.php file and made sure settings.php was writable per instructions. Remember my install process worked on slampp server and friend's server

2) Yes it is in a subfolder of ISP server html directory, but that thread on putting index.php file in root of html to redirect to sub-folder did not work and seems to fail the logic test when installations in sub-folders worked on another server.

3) Re "Maybe it needs all cookies and and the file cache deleted before installing it" unfortunately, this did not ring true as I also tried a fresh install from within linux under slampp and it had exactly same failure as I had under windows

4) I looked at "Admin CP > Board Settings > Server and Optimization Settings > Gzip Compression > Off > Save" and had no improvement

5) I had a laugh about the thread of someone who actually wanted to create a blank page but it did not solve my problem

6) Tried " Change Portal.php to Index.php" - it suggested changing text "$lang->load("index");" but no such text in the file.

7) I do not have an "a incy wincy tiny little trailing slash at the end of my board url"

8) If I have not mentioned other threads it is perhaps only because I have not remembered at this point of severe fatigue in trying to solve this problem. I have searched the forums and google for multiple references and run down many spurious threads without any luck

So is it my ISP server?
1) I have a latest mediawiki installed and running fine in their MySQL database. I also have other html pages and tiddlywikis running on their server.

2) The versions of my ISP MySQL and PHP are as follows:
My ISP versions status are as follows:
MySQL 3.23.49-log
PHP 4.1.2

Friends Server versions:
MySQL 3.23.58
PHP 4.3.8

Slampp Server versions:
MySQL 4.1.14-log
PHP 4.4.1

I tried finding version requirements on mybb website and forums without any luck. Who am I to tell my ISP its their fault of having older versions without proof. I assume mybb website would clearly say if older versions of MySQL or PHP were unworkable!

Any ideas not covered above?
Maybe you didn't installed the templates. are you sure you went through every single step on the installation until you couldn't press next anymore? did you delete the install directory?
Thanks for reply. You will see from my original post that I had no problems with getting through the install process. It in fact worked on home server and a friend's isp server. It just won't work on my ISP server even after full install completed per instructions without any problems. Tables installed and install directory deleted and all other specified install requirements ok. Just get blank page for the forum on my ISP.
just FYI your server fits requirements. I cannot think of any solutions except your slampp is probably not fully compatible with MySQL/PHP. So even though your server says they support both that pseudo linux server probably wont work with either. Sorry, but you probably got ripped off by your host. I would try and look for some sort of solution, but it all seems to point at your host.

Cheers,
Tikitiki
To Tikitiki, I suspect it is the ISP server as well. Though thanks for info that their MySQL & PHP versions should be ok. As my recent version release of mediawiki runs fine on my ISP's server using their MySQL & PHP versions (even though they are a bit old), I am at a loss what to talk to my ISP about to get myBB working.

The slampp thing is something seperate and for more info see http://slampp.abangadek.com/. It is a linux server on a PC in my home network. I use it to test server installs before putting them on a Web-server. Mybb runs fine on it. I can also use it to upload mybb to an ISP server. It did this successfully with a friend's ISP but not my ISP. I also tried upload of mybb from a windows XP SP2 box and ran install from there but that did not work on my ISP either.
I got email notice of reply to this thread that does not seem to be posted here. Only first line of reply quoted in email and said "Your PHP version is too old. MyBB only works with PHP > 4.3.0... (visit the thread to read more..)"

Perhaps the rest of the reply (if posted) would have answered my next question being: "Why didn't the "Requirements Check" window of the install process show a failure on old PHP version?
ahh. I was looking at the wrong spec. I'll look into why it didnt do the "Requirements Check" properly.

EDIT: I was looking at the script and found this:

$phpversion = @phpversion();
	if($phpversion < "4.1.0")
	{
		$errors[] = "<p><b>MyBB Requires PHP 4.1.0 or later to run. You currently have $phpversion installed.</b></p>";
		$phpversion = "<span class=\"fail\"><strong>$phpversion</strong></span>\n";
		$showerror = 1;
	}

It says its compatible with 4.1.0 and up. Can a dev confirm that this is correct?
I was under the impression that the minimum was 4.3.0, but then I checked the install and it said 4.1.0, so I deleted my post >.> And also I read the first post wrong.
Maybe it really does require 4.3.0, but it got changed somewhere along the lines, and thats whats causing it to not work?
Can you open install/index.php, and find this:
error_reporting(E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE);
and replace with:
error_reporting(E_ALL);
and see if there are any errors that show up.
Pages: 1 2