MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: .tel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Does anyone here own a .tel domain?

IMO, it's a ripoff. You're paying MORE (usually) for a less functional domain.
To be honest, I didn't know that there was such a domain...
Never heard of it as well.

It's like .ca, you never see it in most common registrars.

If I wanted to get a .ca domain name, I'd have to order it through the Domain Registry of Canada or Netfirms
I can't find any place that offers .TEL except NetworkSolutions and I don't know anybody who would pay those kind of prices. The most I've spent on a new domain was $29/year.
What I find ridiculous is when I get the letters in the mail from the DRC asking me to renew my domain from $49 to anywhere like 179. It's ridiculous, I can get domains at Dynadot for 9.25/year
.Tel's are $9 at name.com.

For those who don't know, it's a domain name (whatever.tel), but you have to use their nameservers and page builder (which is really weak).

It's meant to be an "online phone directory". Examples:

http://blenzcoffee.tel/
http://linux.tel/

etc.
That's not a bad idea actually. I like it.
It is nice "See our contact info at whatever.tel", and you know exactly what to expect, but they're priced too high. They should be down there with .info.
Yeah but I think it's mainly targeted for businesses in which case the price point is good.
(2010-03-21, 06:15 AM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ].Tel's are $9 at name.com.

Yep, name.com is the cheapest registrar, and DomainMonster.com is probably the most popular. There are over 100 others to choose from though.

(2010-03-21, 06:15 AM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]For those who don't know, it's a domain name (whatever.tel), but you have to use their nameservers and page builder (which is really weak).

It's meant to be an "online phone directory".

Yep. The idea behind .tel is to use the DNS to disemminate contact information. Just as traditionally our web browsers and email relays use DNS to transparently resolve domain names to network addresses, .tel supporting apps/services resolve your name to your contact points. There are other applications too, such as directory services.

The web interface (so-called TelProxy) is just there for convenience sake, and shouldn't be seen as a replacement for a traditional website. That's not what it's trying to be.

By the way, there are frequent .tel meetups for entrepreneurs in Vancouver with lots of interesting people, if you're interested - a good way to network. Smile
Pages: 1 2