MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How much Disk Space/Bandwidth
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(2010-03-25, 10:08 PM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-03-25, 09:55 PM)bubka3 Wrote: [ -> ]What is there to managing a VPS anyways? Login and hit reboot. Like come on

More to that if you want to set up (and maintain, update, ...) LAMP.

Updates, configuring this, making unix programs if your cool.

(Which is extremely powerful. My dad showed me a program he made for McDonalds, twas amazing. *By made for i mean as a project not selling or giving it to them)
Updating for the most part is usually painless. It's rare that things really break from day to day updates on the server distributions.
(2010-03-26, 12:53 AM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]Updating for the most part is usually painless. It's rare that things really break from day to day updates on the server distributions.

Really? Almost every update breaks something of mine. Though again, it comes down to how much you have added to your server.
Ya, mine's basically LAMP Toungue.
Besides the fact you don't seem capable of running a successful multiforum free hosting service. I'll point out that the largest free host like this is probably createmybb.com.

Their stats are unimpressive imho and any single dedicated server should handle the load.
Forums Hosted: 1,453
Members: 81,710

A simple dual or quad core with 4gb ram and 1tb bandwidth is rentable for $100-$150 a month. Maybe $200 if you want managed and quality.
(2010-03-25, 04:01 PM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]5GB disk space and 20GB bandwidth is overkill.

Well he wants to run a forum host and at 10 accounts that gives 500mb and 2gb bandwidth each but yes, even that is more than MyBB needs.
^ Definitely wouldn't need 500MB per account. Bandwidth is a bit harder to estimate. I was close to using up my 5GB/mo limit whilst on free hosting, so if the host gets in total about 4 times the traffic that I got, you'd be pushing the 20GB limit a bit.
Again, it doesn't matter because running a free host on a shared/reseller account is not realistic. And if you can find a VPS or dedicated server provider that doesn't give you at least 100GB of bandwidth and 20GB of disk space I wouldn't even consider them an option either.
lol, I almost went with linode until I found these guys Big Grin.

http://intovps.com - The control panel they offer is far from as good and linodes but I don't ever touch it so don't really care.
I know it's beyond the scope of this thread, but I paid $123/month for the first year for my server and now I pay $71/month for the following specs:
-Intel Xeon Quad-Core X3220 Processor (2.4GHz)
-8GB of Kingston DDR3 ECC RAM
-640GB Western Digital SATA 3.0GB/s 32MB Cache (2 in RAID1)
-Dual 1000Mbps Ports
-10 Dedicated IPs
-640MB Bandwidth Down/Up (~2MBps)

Seriously, you can build a server on Newegg these days for less than $900 and colocation costs are so cheap.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5