MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Distribution Permission?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Our original plan was to build our web app around mybb. Then when one of our users wanted to install our web app, they'd download and install mybb first, then install our web app afterwards with the endresult being a so-called "well behaved" and complete experience.

But, after no small amount of wrangling, we've come to the conclusion that we're going to have to pull out some pretty large swaths of the mybb code to optimize it for our situation. The theme and template systems are the primary candidates followed by the smilies and icon management facilities just to name a couple. due to the number of queries generated, modified sections will be reduced or removed entirely in favor of less flexible (read: static) alternatives.

Basically we're talking about a major fork of mybb. When we're done, we'd want to distribute our complete web app with the forum fork with obvious credit the mybb team complete with appropriate links. It will obviously be a shadow of it's former self, but will NOT be for individual rerelease as "mybb LE" or whatever.

The envisioned completed site is a bittorrent portal website. using mybb as a base could save us a lot of development time. We like the work done on the major functions like the group management/permission, the admin pages, and most of the user/personal subsystems (profile pages and rep system for ex). These systems will likely remain untouched in the initial version.

Once we've completed principle development, the site will be made available as open source with our own support network in place. I'm a member of several sites that started with the likes of phpbb or postnuke but forked almost immediately and no longer try to get support from the original due to the age of the version they started with and the mods they've made. This is where we intend to land, with our end product being derived from, but only somewhat related to, mybb. As said, we will give clear credit the mybb team.

So the question i have is about permission for this kind of distribution. I know what the license says, as i've read it. With the modifications we plan and the intended result, i thought i'd ask.

I'd be happy to face any concerns or considerations.
bump with a clarified subj
something else to add to this. . . probably a different discussion altogether...

if i did my proj with mybb, but was limited to not distributing... what if someone took the code and used it anyway? where i didn't give it to them but they got it somehow? I didn't distribute it, but wouldn't they be subject to cease & desist because they distributed it to themselves?
ok thanks. i guess i have my answer.
the way I understand it is that you can not distribute the complete code for MyBB. You are allowed to however:

- create modifications/plugins for it
- change the code where and whenever you need
- distribute instructions on how to change it
- distribute your custom-files you might have generated

I don't know if you're allowed to distribute amended files though or only instructions on how to amend them.

So while the distribution of the entire thing as one package would be the easiest, it is not allowed...