MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Virtual Directories Possible?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Are virtual directories possible with MyBB or is it too advanced/not possible? I wanna be able to have links as mysite.com/forum/this-forum.html and mysite.com/thread/this-thread.html and so on.

I know it may sound a bit asinine to do, but I wanna know/experience its possibility. Smile
You tried a Google SEO plugin?
http://mods.mybboard.net/view/google-seo
Yeah, I use it on my forums but he said the plugin didn't support it or something like that. I forget.
Really? What do I insert for it to do what I want to do?
Directory structures are problematic if the software (as a whole, i.e. PHP and JavaScript and CSS and HTML templates) is not aware of it. So if it's done in a plugin, you have to settle for a less-than-optimal solution, and it's hard to make sure nothing breaks because of it. That's one reason why it's not supported yet.

The other reason is that I don't really see the benefit. URLs with keywords are nice, but they can be long at times. What's the point of making them even longer by using forum-name/thread-name instead of just thread-name.

If I have a choice between random number URLs and keyword URLs, I choose keyword URLs.
If I have a choice between short URLs and long URLs, I choose short URLs.

So if your choices are
  1. thread-66992.html
  2. Thread-Virtual-Directories-Possible
  3. MyBB-1-4-Series/MyBB-1-4-General-Support/Virtual-Directories-Possible
, I make a compromise and go for number 2) because it's the shortest with keywords, and that's what Google SEO currently does... in comparison MyBB-1-4-General-Support makes the URL a lot longer without adding much info on what's the URL is about. Since this is the MyBB forum it's obvious that it's about MyBB even without this addition. Maybe it's more useful in a general discussion forum, however usually, even there a good thread subject is sufficient by itself.

Even so, Number 3) style URLs are on the to-do list somewhere and may be supported by Google SEO some time in the future, but not right now.
Ah, okay. Thanks. Smile