MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Banned users can still post!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OK, my site {Snip} has a number of special users with certain access rights. I have 3 sections; open, restricted and inactive.

Basically I just discovered that my banned users can still post away to their hearts content. I have put in the default that they can do nothing, not even view the board and they can still post. I change that to view but not post and they can still post, I then bypass the default and set each areas access as cannot view and then cannot post but guess what? they can still post.

Im puloling my hair out at this stage, please help
Do they have extra usergroups? I think I read someone else having a similar problem to this because the banned members had an additional group.
Yeah, a 'yes' will override a 'no' so even if they're in a banned group, if they're in another group that does have permissions, the 'yes' settings from the other group will override the 'no'.
First go ACP > Users & Groups > Groups > select your banned group > Users and permissions > and untick "Can post new threads?" and "Can post replies to threads?"

Secondly go ACP > Forums and Posts > Select forums > Options > Permissions > make sure banned users don't have posting permissions there.

Finally make sure your banned users don't have any additional user groups if your just moving them into a banned usergroup rather than using the banning system.
TimB, got it sorted cheers. Noticed something else strange though, banned a user twice and on being banned a second time he was able to post again, could the second one have canceled the first or just some strange error that happened?
If you use the ban tool in the Mod CP it should just update the first if you ban someone a second time (but the period of the two bans won't be combined, just whatever value you put for the second one will update the first).