MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Blank email sender on rare occasions.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
* On my forum i am noticing perhaps 1 in 50 email replies i get from posts to threads i get a blank screen where the sender info should be.

* url to forum is in my sig if need be and as its an email issue its hard to give a specific url sorry.

* Forum was upgraded to latest about 1 month ago.

* Test acount is user = Francisco and pass is user = Francisco (please change email if you want to test)

* Screenshot of error in question.

[Image: 12700774657202_example%20email.jpg]

Additional notes..

1) I just changed hosts and as i did this stated happening.
2) I have contacted the host and they blame MyBB.
3) I did wait until propagation was complete (week)

Excerpt from convo with tech is available on request but i dont think i should post it here. Although it was quite decent i feel privacy could be an issue.

****** OH HELL THERE IS SWEARS IN THE EMAILS SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!********************
Is it any particular thread or post that this is happening on?
So it's just the sender email that's missing?

Can you see it in another email client?
This has happened to me randomly when I use the mass PM feature from the admin panel.

I've also sent mass PM's to only one group and members from other groups have gotten the blank email.

Yes my settings are correct.
Yes I checked the users involved group settings to make sure they are not in multiple groups. We have no dual group memberships on this board.
(2010-04-01, 07:42 AM)Penguin145 Wrote: [ -> ]Is it any particular thread or post that this is happening on?
So it's just the sender email that's missing?

Can you see it in another email client?

This is happening on random threads. There is nothing specific about it that i can tell but i will try test this further thankyou.

(2010-04-01, 06:42 PM)Goggalor Wrote: [ -> ]This has happened to me randomly when I use the mass PM feature from the admin panel.

I've also sent mass PM's to only one group and members from other groups have gotten the blank email.

Yes my settings are correct.
Yes I checked the users involved group settings to make sure they are not in multiple groups. We have no dual group memberships on this board.

This is not a mass email problem. With that i know my host has a 100 email per hr limit and that would be a problem but i dont just not get the email i get an email that has lost its sender component.
Yes I understand its' not an email problem.

I didn't explain clearly enough.

When I use the mass PM feature the board sends out an email that is blank with nothing in it to members of that group and some members of other groups.

Send mass pm
board sends email notification of this but it's blank.
board also sends blank email notification of said PM to members of groups who did not get sent a PM at all.
Any of the "senior" members have an opinion on this?
I suspect its my crappy host i am with now but would just like a few to back me on this before i go back to them.

Not really sure if i should add this but here is one of the live support convos.

BigBlackBob Wrote:(5:27:00 PM) Francisco De: has entered the chat.
(5:27:02 PM) Francisco De: Hello, Welcome to HostGator Live Chat. My name is Francisco, I will be assisting you today.
(5:27:08 PM) Francisco De: How may I assist you with your email?
(5:27:39 PM) DAMINK: Hello Francisco. Ok i have a forum running under the domain ftw.net.au and when i receive emails perhaps 1 in 20 come with no sender. Simply blank. The rest are fine.
(5:28:04 PM) Francisco De: Where are the emails being sent from?
(5:28:55 PM) DAMINK: from the forum? i am a reseller under daminkshost.com but also own ftw.net.au which is the one in question but the emails get sent from the forum itsself. Now this has been moved over from another host and i never had the problem there.
(5:30:09 PM) Francisco De: It could be an issue with the forum, do you receive blank emails outside of the forum?
(5:30:43 PM) DAMINK: no i never get blank emails and have never received any from the forum in the year and a half it was running on another server. It happened the moment i moved here.
(5:31:35 PM) DAMINK: Other users are complaining of the same thing so its not a user specific problem either.
(5:31:55 PM) Francisco De: Where can I see the issue?
(5:32:07 PM) DAMINK: i will make a screen shot for you now
(5:33:18 PM) DAMINK: sorry if there is any inappropriate content in this image. I simply took it without any edits. http://www.ftw.net.au/fileuploads2/12700...apture.jpg
(5:34:02 PM) Francisco De: What kind of forum do you have?
(5:34:10 PM) DAMINK: I run a MyBB forum
(5:34:49 PM) Francisco De: It looks like someone filled out the contact box and didn't enter an email address.
(5:35:10 PM) DAMINK: no its all automated. Its a reply to a topic Smile
(5:35:33 PM) DAMINK: The forum engine automatically emails when a reply is received.
(5:36:32 PM) DAMINK: as a guess i have 15000 emails from my domain. And never a blank one until now. Obviously this will cause problems not only for looks but spam filters so it does need to be addressed.
(5:37:10 PM) Francisco De: How many emails does it send an hour?
(5:37:36 PM) DAMINK: Not a great deal. Perhaps 30 i guess?
(5:38:47 PM) DAMINK: Now i use that figure based on lets say 5 people are talking in a thread. Then every reply will send an email to all 5. So you have a few threads open then you send a few emails. Pretty standard stuff for forums really.
(5:39:40 PM) Francisco De: Okay, because the limit is 500 emails an hour.
(5:40:04 PM) DAMINK: I can understand a stop on emails but not a "no topic"
(5:41:04 PM) Francisco De: Is there a way I can replicate the issue?
(5:41:33 PM) DAMINK: Give me a sec i will make an account and fake area you can post heaps of fake posts and check. That ok?
(5:43:20 PM) Francisco De: Sure.
(5:43:28 PM) DAMINK: http://www.ftw.net.au
(5:43:36 PM) DAMINK: user=Francisco
(5:43:42 PM) DAMINK: pass=Francisco
(5:43:57 PM) DAMINK: Temp thread to spam the hell out of. I dont care what you post there.
(5:43:59 PM) DAMINK: http://www.ftw.net.au/thread-4450.html
(5:44:26 PM) DAMINK: you will have to change the email address to one you can get replies however
(5:45:04 PM) DAMINK: http://www.ftw.net.au/usercp.php?action=profile go there and change to an emial of your choice
(5:45:07 PM) Francisco De: OKay, I'm sorry, I can not do all of that.
(5:45:18 PM) Francisco De: I don't have an email I can insert there.
(5:45:42 PM) DAMINK: Then its going to be hard for you to test as this is an email related issue?
(5:46:31 PM) Francisco De: It looks like an issue from the forum, you are able to receive the email and send email.
(5:46:34 PM) DAMINK: You need to make a few junk gmail ones for purposes like this i feel.
(5:46:44 PM) DAMINK: No its not a forum issue i assure you
(5:47:02 PM) DAMINK: I have had this run flawless for over a year. I move to here and i have problems as soon as i move.
(5:48:00 PM) DAMINK: I am going to deleted the Francisco user as there is no purpose having that account
(5:48:46 PM) Francisco De: The blank email doesn't have a contact email address or any content on it?
(5:48:53 PM) Francisco De: Does it have a subject?
(5:49:55 PM) DAMINK: Yes subject is relevant to thread. Actually the only thing wrong with the reply email is its got not From: address. It seems to strip that away. The rest of the email if fine and accurate.
(5:50:36 PM) Francisco De: Okay, that means the email is working fine.
(5:50:48 PM) DAMINK: the email is being received yes
(5:51:09 PM) DAMINK: only its stipping away the From address on the rare occasion and there for risking being put into spam
(5:52:55 PM) Francisco De: OKay, One moment please.
(5:53:04 PM) DAMINK: Thankyou sir.
(5:55:07 PM) Francisco De: You're welcome.
(5:57:29 PM) Francisco De: Are people who aren't signed up for the forum able to respond?
(5:57:44 PM) DAMINK: no not normally
(5:58:15 PM) Francisco De: Able to reply I mean.
(5:58:20 PM) DAMINK: no
(6:00:01 PM) Francisco De: I checked with An Administrator and the email is working fine.
(6:00:32 PM) DAMINK: http://www.ftw.net.au/fileuploads2/12700...apture.jpg
(6:01:08 PM) DAMINK: thats the actual email in question.
(6:01:42 PM) Francisco De: What is the sender email most of the time?
(6:02:20 PM) DAMINK: It is normally always FT Forum. Home of the Damned.
(6:02:34 PM) DAMINK: sorry FTW Forum. Home of the Damned.
(6:04:26 PM) Francisco De: Thank you.
(6:04:40 PM) Francisco De: That has nothing to do with the server, it's an issue with the Forum.
(6:05:44 PM) DAMINK: Unfortunately i have to disagree. I have some good coders who help me and they said much like i did. Its the host. And as i stated earlier i have had this and other forums running for years. Nothing has been changed on this forum apart from a server changed in perhaps 4 months.
(6:06:44 PM) DAMINK: I am wondering if by not having a [email protected] sort of return email address its actually tripping some filters or something? Within the server i mean. Not the forum software.
(6:07:44 PM) Francisco De: Having that email address wouldn't change anything.
(6:09:16 PM) DAMINK: yea i sort of thought so but am just fishing for ideas. Never mind i will try asking more people who created this forum engine and see what they say. I am however pretty sure i know what they will say. (as they already did) but now atleast i can say That Tech support claims its a MyBB issue and not there host.
(6:09:36 PM) Francisco De: Okay, Is there anything else I may assist you with?
(6:10:01 PM) DAMINK: Not right now. But i will proberbly be reopening this if its possible?
(6:11:55 PM) Francisco De: Sure, you can come back to chat at any time.
(6:12:09 PM) DAMINK: Thankyou and appreciate your help and patience.

Notice. I was even polite!!!!!
Still did not resolve the problem however.