MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Upgrade Overwrite?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
I am referring to the upgrade instructions here:
http://wiki.mybboard.net/index.php/Upgrading

Quote:Upload ALL of the files and folders in the "Upload" folder including the install folder, overwriting the existing copies (this contains the upgrade files also) to your forums root directory.

Overwriting all the files, means, I lost all my customized files and images ..?
What if I only want upload files that has changed, is that possible?

I am using 1.4.6 btw, and thinking of upgrading to 1.4.11 .. and I download the installer from here: http://mybboard.net/downloads
You are unbelievably lucky not to have been hacked. You've been running a version with a known high risk security vulnerability for a rather ridiculous length of time. You shouldn't be 'thinking' about upgrading to 1.4.11, it's a necessity.

In the time you've waited to upgrade I wouldn't be surprised if most of the files have been changed in some way. You need to upload the entire package, it won't overwrite any images that aren't in the root ./images/ folder, but you'll lose any file modification. This is why it's a good idea to make a note of what you've changed so you can make the changes again when you upgrade.
Is it possible if I install a new (1.4.11) MyBB .. and load the old files & db from 1.4.6 to the new 1.4.11?

I am looking for a way so that I dont have to close down my current forum ... as there'll be lots of work to customize it from the start again.
You can make backup from your ACP now. Then when you install new 1.4.11 just upload your backup.
Well, no, if you install 1.4.11 and then upload the 1.4.6 files and database it's just going to be a 1.4.6 forum again isn't it Undecided You need to upload all the 1.4.11 files and run the upgrade script.

If you hadn't had waited so long to upgrade it wouldn't be anywhere near as much of a hassle for you. You won't need to do any customisations again, just turn the board offline, upgrade, and run through the few template changes you'll need to do.
Hi,
In the upgrade wiki, it's said that in need to chmod specified files to 666 and directories to 777.
When I chmod directories to 777, do I need to apply it to the subdirectories also?

I am using filezilla, and have these options:

Recurse into subdirectories (Tick/Untick)
1. Apply to all files and directories
2. Apply to files only
3. Apply to directories only.

So, should I tick 'Recurse'? If so, which option, should I choose?

Thanks in advance
These files and folders should keep the CHMODs they already have, you're just overwriting them, but number 3 would be the best option.