MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Help, PLEASE!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2010-04-03, 07:47 AM)TimB. Wrote: [ -> ]I have a few concerns, firstly you shouldn't use that plugin unless you make users aware of it in the registration agreement. People would consider it an invasion of privacy if they believed their conversations were private and you were reading them (although this isn't a huge issue because they are stored unencrypted in the database). Secondly you shouldn't be posting private message contents publicly without the sender, and receivers permission.

Well, I had never even used the plugin before now. It was something I had installed a while back but had never activated it, so I didn't ever have a reason to put in there, seeing as I wasn't using it. It'll be something I should add now, though.

And I only posted the PMs because I honestly didn't know what to make of the situation. Perhaps that was bad judgment on my part.

(2010-04-03, 07:47 AM)TimB. Wrote: [ -> ]On to the actual situation, you shouldn't have allowed this to take place publicly like that, I would start by unapproving the post.

I was gone when it happened, so there wasn't much for me to do. I'll be deleting the thread now, though. Undecided

(2010-04-03, 07:47 AM)TimB. Wrote: [ -> ]Then I would contact person J and get the full story from her, if she legitimately has a case then forward it to the authorities immediately, if not though then give them at least a 7 day time out. It sounds like a bunch of kids who know each other having an immature dispute over your forum so don't worry about it too much, really though, making those accusations just isn't on so I wouldn't let J off that easily.

Thanks. That's actually exactly what I did. I contacted J and got their story and it appears that things have been cleared up. I'm still hoping to get R's side of the story too. But it appears that it was just a bunch of immaturity.

I realized from the get go that it could have been some teens trying to cause trouble, but those were serious accusations and that was the only reason for me asking for help here. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered.

Thank you for the help.
On another note, you shouldn't leave your forum for a month with such inactive staff. At least appoint a temporary Super Moderator to avoid this stuff from getting out of hand in your absense.
(2010-04-03, 08:11 AM)saul Wrote: [ -> ]I was gone when it happened, so there wasn't much for me to do. I'll be deleting the thread now, though. Undecided

I wouldn't delete it, just unapprove it, that way you can still access it if you need to in the event that this does go to the police.
(2010-04-03, 08:14 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]On another note, you shouldn't leave your forum for a month with such inactive staff. At least appoint a temporary Super Moderator to avoid this stuff from getting out of hand in your absense.

Unfortunately, my absence wasn't anticipated. There have been some issues that have been ongoing for the last few weeks for me. Thankfully, they seem to have passed. Although, I do admit that I am in need of a better staff, and that does fall on my shoulders.

Anyway, thank you all again. Your help and concern was appreciated. I think since this has for the most part been solved, it can probably be locked.

Thanks again.
Pages: 1 2