MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: About the something awful forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Why is it so famous despite requiring a fee for people to register? Anyone know its history and how it started?
Here's an article on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Something_awful
I have never heard of this. Who would pay to register at a forum? There's 1000s of forums that you can register for free.
(2010-04-08, 03:00 AM)iPod15 Wrote: [ -> ]I have never heard of this. Who would pay to register at a forum? There's 1000s of forums that you can register for free.

Who knows, i might've if they had a community i'd like. Sometimes paid is better, and worth it.
They have an actual website so they probably had really loyal users.
HF is nearly as popular and I get many paid members daily. Right now I have about 2500 paid subscribers and my Alexa rank is creeping into 6,000's.

I've visited SA in the past and I've known about it for some time. Before the rise of 4chan there was SA. Personally I like how they are running VB 2.2. It goes to show that having the latest and greatest forum software isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Forum software lately imho is getting out of control with features most don't want and certainly don't need.