MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: ImaCaptcha [alpha1]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
You don't know Tux? Shame on you. Toungue Just kidding. Smile

I too would be stumped if you wanted me to recognize car brands and parts like tires and stuff. I know next to nothing about cars. However, for users in a forum that specializes in cars, made for and by car fanatics, it may not be that big of an issue. Maybe they don't want idiots who can't tell Mercedes from Volkswagen apart... who knows? Smile

Anyway, back to development now. See you later.
Just give them a dynamic key image, where they have to match the image to a number/word in the key. Smile
It is a very good idea. You might even restrict audiences. Rolleyes Toungue

No, but I have the presumption that if a (actually quite harmless) hacker to carry out a forum, he has only once to enter the graphics manually and could have the ability to register for example many accounts.
In my opinion this is great for those who need it.
This would work perfectly on my site. E.g. I don't want users that know nothing about consoles to join so I'd make console images or get them from an icons website or something and use them for this.
Those that have no idea of the consoles names should not be joining my website, so they can't pass.
Those who want to join my website and know the consoles names will pass the verification and join my website.
(2010-04-05, 12:32 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]I don't care about what anyone does with this plugin. I won't ship the plugin with images anyway. That's not within my ability - I'm a programmer, not a graphics designer. And I don't want to include images that are not made by me. So people who want to use this, would be either forced to make their own, or depend on others who share their image sets, or pick up free images on the net from openclipart.org or whereever.
So it seems more like a personal thing rather than an idea to replace CAPTCHA. If that's the case, it'll probably work if no-one else uses your system, apart from those manually entering the answers.

(2010-04-05, 12:32 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]Decaptcher is actually a good example. I reloaded their captcha.php lots of times but all it ever displays is letters. If it displays only the image without explanation, the human won't necessarily know what to do, because the context is missing... Wink
Adding in the context is quite trivial, for example, the bot could modify the image you send it and stick a piece of text at the top telling the user what to do.
If you're going to use targeted images however, I guess those entering the captcha manually probably won't know what the images are, but then, this becomes a bit more of a "how far are you willing to go?" type issue. That is, how much effort you're willing to go and how much effort is the bot coder willing to go (typical of those "answer this question" systems). It's a bit disproportionate though, since if a bot can get through in 1 out of 10 times, you still haven't actually stopped it.

But again, if this is just being used at your site only, it probably will effectively stop all non-manually entered spam. But if this system gets popular, it's really not going to be more effective than CAPTCHA.

Also, I really don't think one should rely on this to filter out users based on knowledge. What if a non-English speaking individual was trying to sign up, visiting your forums through something like Google Translate, to ask something, or perhaps even provide valuable information?
Perhaps we should wait for a demo... Wink This protection is made for special cases and frostschutz doesn't want to replace normal captchas.
If you want a demo, you can already use it. I just implemented captcha validation, and tagged it alpha1. However at the current stage, it's merely a proof-of-concept, not a useable plugin. There is no documentation, no settings, no nothing.

If you want to try it anyway, to set it up you have to create templates:

imacaptcha:
test_animals
test_shapes

imacaptcha_test_animals:
cat.png cat katze
dog.png dog hund
horse.png horse pferd gaul
human.png human man woman mensch frau mann

imacaptcha_test_shapes:
circle.png circle kreis
square.png square box quadrat rechteck
star.png star stern

The imacaptcha template contains the imagesets it's allowed to use. In this case test_animals and test_shapes. The imacaptcha_<imageset> template contains the list of images in the set and their possible solutions, separated by a single space. The folder structure has to reflect this, i.e. images/imacaptcha/test_shapes/circle.png.

Now that the basic functionality is there, I'll add bells and whistles.

I'm spending more time on something as useless as an Admin CP configuration page, than on the captcha functionality itself. Dodgy

[attachment=17875]
Let me know once you've got it done Toungue
Pages: 1 2