MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: E-mail newsletter options?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am helping my wife's aunt with a website for her church and every month she e-mails a newsletter (.doc @ 700KB) to about 200 people but for the past 3 months AOL has restricted her account so that she can no longer send the newsletters. If she adds all 200 users she receives an error about making a Distribution List, we created one today but now it errors out saying the attachment is to big (while their site says 25MB is the limit) but she is able to send the file to a few users at a time without a problem.

She is not very technical savvy at all and has used this same e-mail all her life which all of her family, business contacts, and church contacts all over the world use so changing e-mails is not an option.

I setup PHPList but the interface was to confusing so it wasn't a real option. I tried setting up Mailman on my server which seems to work good except that all the e-mails being sent out are using "newsletters-bounces@... on behalf of" so I am looking for another option.

I'm trying to find a way so that I can setup all of the users on one e-mail, say [email protected], so that all she has to do is send the e-mail like normal except instead of sending it to 200+ users she'll send it to the [email protected] e-mail and that will forward the e-mail in it entirety to the users (headers as close as possible, at the very least with her e-mail as the reply-to).

Oh, and all the e-mails have to be hidden, a few years ago somebody took her e-mail list and started to use it for spam.

I know most of you probably have no experience with this sort of thing but I figured some of you might so please provide your suggestions based on experience. Google results, assumptions, and guesses will be ignored so don't bother replying. Wink
Does she know what her limit is? A client of mine, has a similar issue. What we did was divide the list into 4 different lists. I'd contact AOL and see what the max number is.
She may need to use a paid email service. They are mainly set up for these kind of things.
Also, another idea popped into my head. She could write the email, and send it from another account, couldn't she? Like fowarded? But that does go against your no new email idea, kinda.
Unfortunately she tried splitting it up into groups of 20 but it still would give her and error. She's been trying to send the e-mails since last week so it just looks like AOL gave up on her (they never even returned her e-mails).

Paid services aren't an option since I really don't think they will do what we're looking for anyways.

I think I got Mailman working fine except for the stupid "on behalf of" and the HTML attachments. I just wish it was either more basic or more customizable.
KuJoe, you can try this, get her to phone. Listen to 16 straight hours of death metal and scream at them (My secret plan) Or just call and scream at them. The usual argue with the person for a few minutes talk to the supervisor. Remind them its a church as often as you can. It may actually make them do something. Thin chance i know, but it at sometimes helps.
(2010-04-06, 12:45 AM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.mailchimp.com/ ?
Web based services are not an option. It cannot be anymore difficult than sending a normal e-mail with an attachment.

(2010-04-06, 12:53 AM)41shots Wrote: [ -> ]KuJoe, you can try this, get her to phone. Listen to 16 straight hours of death metal and scream at them (My secret plan) Or just call and scream at them. The usual argue with the person for a few minutes talk to the supervisor. Remind them its a church as often as you can. It may actually make them do something. Thin chance i know, but it at sometimes helps.
AOL's phone support is more useful when you're phone's not plugged in because at least then you don't have to crawl under your desk to unplug stuff.
(2010-04-06, 01:14 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-04-06, 12:53 AM)41shots Wrote: [ -> ]KuJoe, you can try this, get her to phone. Listen to 16 straight hours of death metal and scream at them (My secret plan) Or just call and scream at them. The usual argue with the person for a few minutes talk to the supervisor. Remind them its a church as often as you can. It may actually make them do something. Thin chance i know, but it at sometimes helps.
AOL's phone support is more useful when you're phone's not plugged in because at least then you don't have to crawl under your desk to unplug stuff.

I see.... Well then march in the office and demand support /sarcasm.