MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: RSS Syndication
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Feel free to move this if I'm posting in the wrong spot, I'm just not sure where to ask.

I have a client board installed and he uses the RSS Syndication. I've never used it myself and am not quite sure what is supposed to be brought up with it.

He's got the thing maxed out at 50 for Syndicate All Forums.

He's only getting new topics showing, not any new posts.

Is this supposed to only show new topics but no replies to them?
If so, I noticed several plugins regarding RSS feeds. Can someone suggest which ones would suit this user's purpose?

He wants to see and read the new posts in his feeder without having to go to the board to visit the threads to find new posts.
there is a syndication2.php around, I think by querschlaeger, which does the same as syndication.php just with posts
yes that was one of the ones I was looking at but I find it a little confusing for them to use. It doesn't integrate into the "system" like the original does, does it?

He's not going to want to bother creating the feeds himself and they'll blueberry at me to do it for them. I don't feel like doing custom feeds all the time for his whole site. Confused

I think what he is expecting is to see the feeds come through with all the content in each feed. Like: Thread title/content/reply/reply/reply. I am not sure any feeder does that!

What about the RSS to Post plugin in the downloads section? I'm not sure how that one works.
it integrates if you replace the original syndication.php with it, or if you add the links to your header template. I've done the latter with http://www.japanisch-netzwerk.de

rss to post is reverse feed, it converts feeds into threads

to my knowledge there is no plugin that gives you a feed for a specific thread if that's what you were asking. I want to make one such rss feed plugin some time but at the moment I got other stuff on my hands
OK one more "stupid" question please Smile

If I add the header links like you did, can members utilize both modes? Or do these conflict?

Nice theme on that link too!
They can utilize both modes. However, the page in MyBB that lets you create a syndication.php link will only create links for the original syndication.php. Users who want a custom link will have to put in syndication2 instead of syndication by themselves. If the standard link is sufficient, the browser will offer both because it's specified in the header.

Long story short, it's not a good solution, but it's better than nothing, until someone gets around making something better as a plugin or what ever.
I'm going to have to play with this on my test site. I might have more stupid questions after that. I'm not quite sure what you explained - meaning I just can't picture it in my head.

But - I need to play with it and see how it would be for the end user - meaning the board members. If it's a huge complicated thing FOR THEM - I don't want to be stuck doing it FOR them. Know what I mean?
There are two ways to get at the syndication feeds.

One is the link in the footer http://community.mybboard.net/misc.php?a...yndication

Another is the browser itself. It reads the links to RSS feeds specified in the HTML source code and display an RSS icon in the URL bar, and if you click on it, it lets you subscribe to the feeds directly.

The misc.php?action=syndication page produces links to syndication.php only. If you use that the end user will have to put syndication2.php into the generated URL yourself, by hand. A plugin or proper modification would offer you an option to include posts here.

I added links to syndication2.php in my header so if you use the RSS icon in the browser, you can select the posts version of the feed directly. So it's only visible to people who know how to subscribe to feeds directly with their browser, without user interface on the page itself.
Gotcha... and thanks. I need to find the level of "expertise" these users are too.