MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: encode_to_utf8 problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A client of mine is trying to convert his forum to MyBB but every post with accented characters cuts off.

For example:
Quote:Questo forum è molto bello !

Becomes:
Quote:Questo forum

When I dump that text from the merger module using an echo() I get:
Quote:Questo forum � molto bello !

Shouldn't encode_to_utf8() be keeping this as its proper text? Or is it possibly the bbcode parser, or utf8_unhtmlentities doing it?

The relevant line of code:
$insert_data['message'] = encode_to_utf8($this->bbcode_parser->convert(utf8_unhtmlentities($data['body'])), "messages", "posts");
I confirm, the problem occurs with phpbb3 and SMF with utf-8 language.

Heeelp ... Sad
Use HTML Entities. http://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_entities.asp Might help.
Use this in PHPMyAdmin
UPDATE mybb_threads SET Subject = replace(tablefield,"thing that displays wrong here","entity");
Thanks Prentice but nothing to do, the words are even cut in the database Angry

I can not believe that I am the first to convert a forum from phpbb 3 with italian utf-8 to MyBB 1.4.11 !!

I think that will remain with phpbb 3.
Change it in PHPBB... Then Convert!
Remember to change it from mybb_tables to what ever they use Toungue
(2010-04-10, 07:08 PM)Prentice Wrote: [ -> ]Change it in PHPBB... Then Convert!

I have always this error:
#1054 - Unknown column 'Subject' in 'field list'

Thanks for your help.
Are you sure that is what the threads are called? can you send a screenshot of the list of tables please Big Grin (Or the sidebar)
Also they might call subject title or summit.
Thanks Blush
Click phpbb_topics scroll down a bit take a screen shot Big Grin
(2010-04-10, 05:04 PM)MaFeSa Wrote: [ -> ]I can not believe that I am the first to convert a forum from phpbb 3 with italian utf-8 to MyBB 1.4.11 !!
I did it with german - it worked. (And we have our special characters as well) Just be sure that both databases are UTF-8 and that in the migration tool you haven't checked the option to convert UTF-8.

Michael
Pages: 1 2