MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Installtion Problem - HELP!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm trying to install MyBBoard on one of my servers (not on a hosting server, but on my own personal server), and so I run the wizard.
When I get to the "Database Configuration" phase I input the following:

Database Engine : MySQL
Database Host: localhost
Database Username: root
Database Password: ************
Database Name: mybb
Table Prefix: mybb_

But I always get the following error:

There seems to be one or more errors with the database configuration information that you supplied:

Could not connect to the database server at localhost with the supplied username and password. Are you sure the hostname and user details are correct?

I have just installed MySQL 4.1 on the machine (because I had problems with MySQL 5), and I know that the username+password are correct.

1. So I think that the Database name might be incorrect, because I'm not sure how to do this..
Am I supposed to create the Database in MySQL beforehand or is MyBB supposed to create the Database for me?

2. As for the Table Prefix, what is the purpose of this field? Is it it for MyBB to use or should I have done something beforehand?

Please HELP!! I'm at a dead end!
Thank you!
It uses a pre-existing database, ie create it before running the installer.
The prefix can be anything you want. It's there so it won't conflict with other tables in the database you supply, and being able to host more than one forum in the same database.
OK, I created a database in MySQL named "mybb", with not tables in it.
But the error message that I get is still the same.

I'm thinking maybe the wizard has problems connecting to MySQL.. Because the error message says that it cannot "connect to the database server".

Shouldn't the error message be "Database name not found" or something, if the wizard is able to connect to the database?