MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Question About Creating Mods for MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I wish to create a major Mod for MyBB (mod name & details undisclosed for now), but i have quite a few questions about it.

1. Im I allowed to add my own copyright notice, in addition to the orignal one?

2. Im I allowed to use partial SQL Query, PHP Code, CSS Style etc... from the MyBB Source Code to create the Mod?

3. When finished, where should I release it? What information should I Provide?

4. Are there any other important information I need to know before making the Mod?

--
Kind Regards,
Latheesan
oh yea, almost forgot to ask, how often does a new version of MyBB gets released?
latheesan Wrote:Hello,

I wish to create a major Mod for MyBB (mod name & details undisclosed for now), but i have quite a few questions about it.

1. Im I allowed to add my own copyright notice, in addition to the orignal one?

2. Im I allowed to use partial SQL Query, PHP Code, CSS Style etc... from the MyBB Source Code to create the Mod?

3. When finished, where should I release it? What information should I Provide?

4. Are there any other important information I need to know before making the Mod?

--
Kind Regards,
Latheesan
1. Yes, if you don't remove the MyBB copyright notice.
2. Yes, (at least I think so) but it's better to write everything yourself. You can look at the MyBB code to learn how to do some stuff.
3. Wherever you like. Though, most people check this board and MyBBmods. You can submit it to mybbmods if you are registered (and optionally link to it wherever you like).
4. * You need to know that most people will prefere a plugin over a modification. A plugin is like a modification that will install itself. A modification has manual code changes.
* You can make your plugins compatible with Easy Install and Advanced Plugins (to add a readme function etc..)
* People like language support.
* Minimal use of queries to diminish page load time.
* Make new pages and tables blend in with the themes.
* I think it's best to create your mod on a localhost and test in on an online board.

Quote:oh yea, almost forgot to ask, how often does a new version of MyBB gets released?
New versions get released if there is a security flaw discovered. Mostly you don't have to change much.
I think there is a MyBB 1.1 or 1.2 in development, but it won't be released very soon, so don't worry.

And please, edit your post instead of double posting
Perfect, just the answer i was looking for. I shud be back in few weeks with my first release.

Thanks for your help Smethead Wink
I noticed this line in config.php:

$config['cachestore'] = "db";

Does this means, not a single cache file will be generated, instead everything will be stored in the database?

How would the end-user change cache store method?

If cache store method isnt db, then what (exact name, if possible) cache file(s) are generated? Where are they loaded? For e.g. lets say the the cache file "cache_config.php" is created and put into /cache/ folder, then which file would load this cache file?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Nvm, i figured out most of the stuff. Now i just need to know, if the config.php file ever gets altered once the instalation of mybb is finished?