MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What exactly does a buddy list do?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What exactly does a buddy list do? Does it just tell others who you've chosen to be your buddy...or what? What features/benefits does it give a user?

Likewise, what exactly happens when you add someone to your ignore list? Do none of their posts show up...or what?

Thanks,
Calle
I believe Ignore List will ignore all the person's posts & block them from PMing.

As for adding, they won't be alerted of each other.
You'll need something like the Extended Buddy plugin from mybb-plugins for that.
Currently it's only real purpose is to quickly see info on buddies, but in 1.6 you'll be able to choose to only receive PMs from buddies. It is one of the less useful features though.
Hello,

Sorry for the bump but I found this thread by using the search system and I´d prefer to post my question here, instead of opening another similar thread.

Matt,

I´m very interested on using the PM only from Buddy 1.6 feature. My question is: How can I make the option...

"Only receive private messages from users on my Buddy List" Checked or Selected by default located in the UCP for everybody?

I would like to force my users, somehow, to use more often the Buddy List.

Thank you in advance.
You can't really do that. If you add code to pre-check it, it'll be impossible to have it unchecked if they've chosen to disable it. You can run a query to change it for current users, but it wouldn't be so easy for new users, you'd need a plugin to add this option to the registration page. This really wouldn't be a very good idea anyway, nobody would be able to send PMs to each other and your users wouldn't understand why as the setting would have been forced on them.
Now I understand,

Everything depends on the registration page. There I see some, by default checked options, but nothing about the PM only Buddy (unchecked or checked) even if I activate this feature via ACP.

So yeah, a plugin would be nice.

My idea after I achieve this (if I´m able), is to make an announcement explaining the new PM feature to my users, so they will know and will start adding ppl in their BL.

If I make a list in my ignored list, those people wont be able to PM´me, right?

If I make a list in my buddy list, it would mean that I´m allowing only these ppl to PM is my understanding so far.

Now, let´s say my ignored list is empty and I have 70% people in my Buddy list. The 30% wont be able to PM´me but I still will be able to read their posts asking me: "add me, I need to PM U", if not...then no. I mean, this new feature on 1.6 would be great because gives a unique Buddy List functionality, in comparison with the other software forums out there.

Besides, I use "Tagging", "Profile Comments", "Profile Buddies" and these gives the importance of using Buddy List.

Thanks for your reply,

Cheers.