MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Tight CMS Integration
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

I'm currently using the MyBB integration script from here to integrate my CMS with MyBB. It's working great.

My problem right now is that I'm trying to figure out the best way to have something more than just a "poor mans SSO", which is where I'm at right now.

I want to use MyBB basically ONLY for forum functionality. ie. I don't want MyBB PMs, profiles, etc. I want all of it to be handled by the existing CMS.

I figure that I can just create a custom template, and revoke access to all of the relevant functionality in that way. Instead of linking to MyBB profiles, link to the user profile in the CMS, etc.

The problem with this is that a crafty user could theoretically recognize that I'm using MyBB (not that I'm trying to keep it a secret), and gain access to the relevant MyBB functionality.

I don't really want MyBB attachments either, but that's slightly more than just a cosmetic change.

So, has anyone else done this? Is there an elegant solution to my dillemma? Of course I can simply delete the files that I don't want anymore, but I'm a fan of keeping my integrated packages pristine (for the purpose of clean updates). I was thinking of rolling my own forums for the CMS prior to this, but I know how many difficult that can be so I really rather not.
Well, I'd say it is a hell of a work to disable or even remove essential core features of MyBB.
I'd rather suggest that you'd use a software which is completely modular or has just a minimalistic set of features.
It's not a huge thing to do, can just remove the templates, i've done it before...worked good.
We don't have a CMS, but there are several features of MyBB which we didn't want to have in our forum. For example the detailed who is online list, the buddy and ignore list, thread ratings, etc. If it had settings, we disabled the settings, if it had links in templates, we removed the links from the templates, if it had entire files, we deleted files, if it was hard coded, we changed code.

If you do not want to touch the MyBB code, you'll have to write a plugin that hooks into the stuff you don't want, prevent it from working (make an error page or whatever), and then remove all links from templates. It's the only "clean" way to disable something for good that can't already be disabled by settings.
Ah, the plugin idea is pretty good. I'll poke around at that. Thanks for your input!
Seems to me that the amount of time you're putting in to remove stuff from Mybb, you could just create your own simple forum system that would be as integrated as much as you want.