MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: anonymous or hide user name?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Alright here's my second random and odd question...

is there a way in the admin panel to anonymize (I know, not really a word) or hide a username? I still want registered users, but I would like to give them the ability to "hide" their username and profile when making posts.

It's kinda a complaint forum so sometimes it helps to hide your true identity. Cool

I know I can just tell users not to put any "real" information in but I would like to allow for general chatting.

Any ideas?
You'll need a plugin.
How would you know who was posting what in the discussion though?
(2010-04-11, 05:18 PM)Aaron Wrote: [ -> ]How would you know who was posting what in the discussion though?
You're not meant to, that's the idea. Or at least, the username is hidden to non-moderators.

You could remove the username from the postbit template, which does what you want, but users can still find the username of a poster through stuff like the PM button, quote button etc... So yeah, a plugin would be required.
MyBBSource has one. It not very good last time i tried it at least :/
I need something like this as well

best solution i can think of is to st a password to the forum you want to be anonymous, and make it so that only guests can enter it and post.

Only give the password to the members you trust. No one will know who is posting what.
(2010-08-22, 06:01 PM)The Grinch Wrote: [ -> ]I need something like this as well

best solution i can think of is to st a password to the forum you want to be anonymous, and make it so that only guests can enter it and post.

Only give the password to the members you trust. No one will know who is posting what.

Anyone with power with IP's. A propper mod needs to be developed.
Just allow anonymous posting for that forum.