MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Stopping Spider
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can someone please tell me how to stop spiders from crawling my site. It seems that they are always there and it is very annoying. I searched the forums here but can't seem to find a clear answer. Is there something I can add to the .htaccess file?

Thanks for any help on this.

Shedrock
Why would you want to stop spiders crawling your site? Huh
I don't need it. The domain name has been around for quite a number of years. I only recently converted it to MyBB and I am not interested in spiders crawling the site at the moment.
How to stop them? add a robots.txt file with their user agent (or user-agent: *) and add lines to disallow parts of your site...

Example:
User-Agent: *
Disallow: /
Would block all robots (that obey the file) from visiting any of your site.

If you do this, your site will not appear in search engines!
robots.txt??
I don't get it.
(2010-04-14, 10:10 PM)AJS Wrote: [ -> ]I don't get it.

There is not really to get AJS. I just don't need the spiders crawling my site. It is just a matter of choice at the moment.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated. Smile

Shedrock
(2010-04-14, 10:08 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]robots.txt??

When a spider wants to crawl your site, it looks for a file called robots.txt in your domain's root directory ( http://mysite.com/robots.txt ). This file tells the spiders which URLs to index on your site, and where they are disallowed.

Additionally, you may want to create a special group within MyBB for bots and take away all permissions. Then go through the ACP and assign all spiders / bots to that new group. Instead of seeing real information, the bots will get a "no permission" page.
I knew what it is, I was responding at the same time as ladyunicornejg, answering with a question Toungue
(2010-04-15, 05:13 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]I knew what it is, I was responding at the same time as ladyunicornejg, answering with a question Toungue

gotchaWink