MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: FTP?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Being a technophobe, I'm really confused.
Do you need a forum which has FTP to upload the files?
If so, do you know of any free ones?
And how do you get a domain name (one which doesn't have the host's name in it)?

Thanks in advance.
You can Download FileZilla which is a free FTP client.

And see here for domain names or Google cheap domain names.
Thanks.
Now do I need to already have a forum to upload it, or not?
Do you already have hosting setup?

You use FTP to upload the MyBB files to your hosts server.
I'm really confused (told you I was a technophobe), but thanks for your help anyway.
When you say 'host', do you mean a website where you can create forums?
And is there anywhere where I can get a Domain name for a one-off payment?
The host is where the files and database are stored, hostgator is a common host.

Goole domain registrar and choose one, you need to renew domains every 1-2 years though.
Oh dear.
I couldn't seem to find this on the wiki - can you please give me a list of steps to upload the files?
Thanks in advance.
We can't really give specific steps for every FTP client. With Filezilla there's one panel that has your local files, and a panel that has your webspace files, you just need to drag the MyBB files across.
Is that it? That simple?
Inhope I can at least manage THAT.
Pretty much. When you open it you should see your C: drive or something on the left, and after you've logged in at the top (hostname/username/password) you'll see your server directories on the right. In the left panel, find where the MyBB files are (you'll need to have already extracted the zip), in the right panel, go to where you want to put them, drag across. May take a few minutes to upload everything depending on your internet connection.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6