MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is it wrong to sell my theme?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there.

Yesterday I worked all day and really hard on a theme. It took me the whole day. I then put it up at ShopMyBB, which I'm still waiting for approval. But now I thinking, is it right for me to sell it? I've pretty much modeled the theme off another site; Tutorial9.net.

Here are some previews of the theme, as you can see I didn't make the background. But apart from that and the On / Off / Offlock Icons, I made everything else. It has the same colours; but I don't think it's copyright to use the same colours.

Previews:

Thumbnail-
[attachment=17941]

[attachment=17937][attachment=17938][attachment=17939][attachment=17940]

As you can see I modeled it off there.
So please help me. Is it illegal to sell this theme just because it has a background that I didn't make?
And please don't say yes just because you want it for free Toungue

Thank you guys. Smile
Tutorial9 Usage Agreement Wrote:All content (text/images/media/videos/audio/other downloads) are copyright Tutorial9, and may not be redistributed.

So, yeah, I'd say it was wrong.
Ah, okay. Thank you for finding that. I didn't see that. Thanks Smile
Ah. But what about just releasing it as freeware? Not making any money out of it?
>.> If you made it basing on another theme that was free I do see that kinda wrong. But if you it all yourself sure why not sell it.
@NBKTwitch;
Did you actually read the thread? I didn't base it off another theme, and it certainly wasn't free. Read the thread before you post.
Is that background graphic free to use and redistribute or did you just steal it without asking? If it's free to use it's okay, otherwise it's stolen, so it's not okay to use it on your own site, and it's also not okay to redistribute or even sell it. That would be selling stolen goods.
(2010-04-17, 10:37 AM)TriloByte Wrote: [ -> ]@NBKTwitch;
Did you actually read the thread? I didn't base it off another theme, and it certainly wasn't free. Read the thread before you post.

Yes I did read the thread. I was simply stating my thoughts on the matter.