MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: External Authentication (LDAP, CAS, OpenID)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It is 2010. Are there seriously no existing plugins for MyBB that implement any form of external authentication. Ultimately, I'd like to see a plugin for CAS, but a simple plugin that can authenticate users against an ldap directory would suffice.

I very comfortable hacking code but I'd sure like to have a plugin that at least hooks into the authentication logic of MyBB as a starting point.

Mediawiki, wordpress, smf, and so many other open source products all have 3rd-party ldap authentication plugins available. I'm just stunned that MyBB still does not.

I'm willing to help code the ldap specific parts, I just need a starter plugin that has all the needed hooks in place for authentication: user login, account creation, password changes, etc.

Any tips or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Rob Chevalier
It's a year since you posted this, and I am approaching with the same question.

I do see an OpenID module, but it appears to be four years old. Anyone know if it works on 1.6?

I also see a MediaWiki patch, which at least provides some extensibility.
OpenID doesn't work to my knowledge.
I was also looking at social integration, because many people simply find it more convenient to sign in with some existing account (Facebook, Google, Twitter, Open ID), than to go through the registration process. Some studies quote 30% to 200% more users when signin in with Facebook is enabled.

So far, it seems that:
* there's no sign in with Google account
* no official sign in with Facebook, but there are two off-site mods: http://www.mybbaddons.com/board/thread-1306.html, http://mybbmodding.net/forums/showthread.php?tid=180
* the open ID plugin is broken, and has been abandoned since 2007
* Twitter integration is a hack (tutorial)

This situation is rather sad. Am I missing something? Are there plans to get on with the times for 2.0?
Likely not, as those services most likely will greatly change by then. It could very well be an offical module for 2.0.
Any timetable?

I'm seeking this too!

I was going dev other new modules for mybb, but now I may use another forum soft.
Well, there is facebook, twitter and Windows Live support already Smile
Are there hooks available to write a custom plugin for use with an external SSO? I don't need a packaged plugin, I need to be able to write my own that will login externally and then create the user in MyBB if it does not already exist. I'm evaluating some php forum solutions and that is a definite MUST HAVE.

Does anyone know if the architecture supports that sort of modification?

I have been trying to search these forums for that answer with no luck.

Thanks.
It is certainly possible - take a look at the Facebook connect plugin for an example.
So you want these external sites to have access to your users in this way?