MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Stuck on 3rd installation step
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi there,

I know it's been posted before several times, but changing the permissions of the two files and two directories won't work. I already tried the 666 and 777 for those four items and it still won't work. I tried changing the permissions of other files/directories with no luck. I tried changing the owner, but it was useless too. Any reason as to why this happens?? I really want to give myBB a try, but I might end up with another BB...

Pirate
Yeah there are more directories/files that need to be changed. I'm not sure which, so I just did chmod -R 777 open all subdirectories and files. 666 might work also. I'm stuck on the last install step.
Well i guess u are using ur own server.

if so, make sure that u set the group to WWW and the owner as you. and that should be applied for all directories and its content.

on linux use Konqueror it allow u to change these permission to all afiles included in the directory.

regards
Hi zaher1988,

Thanks for your reply. I did setup my own server to run tests. I changed the owner of the html/ as well as subdirectories and content to my username, but I'm not sure what you mean by changing the group to WWW. Do you mean I should create a new group named WWW (or www?) first?

Thanks!
heloo there

there is something called CHMOD and CHGRP
in the command line , you may go to the folder where u are putting the files, and make like

chgrp www *

or when u go to put the permissions using the right-click properties > permissions, you can find the owner, and you will also find, group!
so wheter u put it www or guests or somthing like that.

many regards
Hi zaher1988,

I did as you advised, but it didn't work...
Is the error when viewing the page is

you are not authorized to view this page or something like that

you are using your own local server yeah?
regards
It diplays the "not writable" red labels when referring to the files/directories in question (config.php, etc).

Correct, I'm using my own server.

Thanks!
What server OS are you using? And what is the web server (Apache, etc) version and PHP version/
The server is running FC3, Apache server, PHP 4.3.11.
Pages: 1 2