MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Donation Drive for MyBB.com
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Mybb has tried a number of times over the years to acquire Mybb.com unsuccessfully from Buy Domains. A few years ago I began inquiries with BD for pricing. As a reputable domainer I was hoping to really push for a more reaasonable price. I have not been successful till now.

They were asking about $20k when initially years ago I was quoted $10k. However after speaking to a sales rep on the phone, explaining the situation, and some name dropping I've gotten them to go mid $x,xxx. I don't yet want to disclose the exact price as it's not fully agreed upon with either party but it's certainly a reasonable enough figure that I want to contact everyone involved with MyBB.

So I'd like to open discussion about a massive donation drive in the next few weeks to acquire this domain. I'm personally going to donate $x,xxx. I've contacted Chris as I believe he is also willing to insert all he can. But I don't believe this is going to happen unless we can get members involved too. Every $10 counts.

I'm not asking you to post what you can donate but at least PM me. Logistics on the purchase, who is making it, and whatnot are not finalized so no donations will yet be accepted. I'm going to assume if indeed this will happen that all members will be notified somehow.

Be aware even if I make this purchase the domain is going to go right into the hands of Chris so it can be used for MyBB. I've been wanting to get that domain for a number of years if only for the vanity of it. I feel it will add to the validity of the project if we can acquire this domain. How many people a day do you think type in Mybb.com?

Update - Apr 26:
Donations are open.
Please see: http://www.mybboard.net/donation-drive

[Image: donation_drive_sig.png]

Questions, comments, discussions: On our blog post
I will donate $50 I guess, that depends on my next cheque. Why is the domain so much anyhow?
Just got a new job Big Grin. I'll be sure to put some money mybb's way when the first paycheck comes in.
I know I've thought the same thing many times. I'll see if I can get a few bucks to throw in.
Four letter domains are considered a premium. Unfortunately Buy Domains is also a top tier seller that charges regularly very high prices. They sell domains regularly for $xx,xxx amounts to end-users.

I've pretty much explained to them though that MyBB project is the only party that would be interested in this domain at any reasonable price. They can hold it for 10 years with no offers or they can sell to MyBB project. I believe I was convincing.

And $50 donations are great. If we can get a bunch of those we'll certainly get closer to buying this thing.

BD is going to contact me in a week. I explained to him the situation about how a donation drive would be needed to seal the deal.
I wonder would mybb the first script with a 4 letter domain?
Its probably going to take a few years to raise the funds to buy it anyhow.
(2010-04-21, 08:44 PM)Jessie S. Wrote: [ -> ]Its probably going to take a few years to raise the funds to buy it anyhow.

If the price is going to be mid $x,xxx and he's donating $x,xxx it shouldn't take too long to make up the difference, whatever it may be.
I'd make up the difference to buy this thing. It's expensive but I believe in this project and have been involved for over 4 years. In many ways I owe a part of my success to MyBB. I'm hoping others feel the same.

IMHO if this deal doesn't happen in the next 30 days it's never going to happen.
I'll donate $150. Who should I donate, MyBB or you?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7