MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Question ???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Right now I run my site on window 7 but thinking of windows 2008 R2

Which do you think is better windows 7 or windows server 2008 R2???
If you actually need Windows, buy R2. If not, just install FreeBSD (or Debian if you're inexperienced, sounds like you are)
well "inexperienced" what do you mean by that well any way

I have never installed server software have a chance to try it out. I was going to format HardDrive and had a chance to try 2008 R2

So I was wondering if i was going to format if i should give 2008 R2 a try.
Wow, are you seriously asking whether it is better to run a dedicated server with a workstation operating system or a server operating system?!?!
(2010-04-23, 06:15 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]Wow, are you seriously asking whether it is better to run a dedicated server with a workstation operating system or a server operating system?!?!

Yea I am never used sever before wanted to try it.
it just that it a computer that
well
MotherBoard: Msi P35 Platinum
VideoCard: Nvidea 8800 ultra
cpu: dual core extream 6850
memory: 8 gig
and about 4 tb of hd space
just wonding if it would be good to put server software on
like troble with games and other apps
(2010-04-23, 06:28 AM)Howman Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-04-23, 06:15 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]Wow, are you seriously asking whether it is better to run a dedicated server with a workstation operating system or a server operating system?!?!

well

~.^

I hope you understand why I used the word "inexperienced"..........

I get the sense that you plan on pirating R2. This being the case, just go with Linux. You don't need Windows on a server unless you have a good reason (ColdFusion, etc).
Windows server is easier to manage for him though since I believe he has direct access to the server. And, well windows server comes with a GUI unlike most linux server distros.

And, a server is a lot different. A lot more detailed security settings but a lot of junk is removed that server would never really use.
(2010-04-23, 06:39 AM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-04-23, 06:28 AM)Howman Wrote: [ -> ]

well

~.^

I hope you understand why I used the word "inexperienced"..........

I get the sense that you plan on pirating R2. This being the case, just go with Linux. You don't need Windows on a server unless you have a good reason (ColdFusion, etc).

No
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver20...ry-it.aspx
180 day
One thing i know how to do well is format and get everting running I will admit it easyer to do now then in the days of ms dos and fixdisk
(2010-04-23, 06:49 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]Windows server is easier to manage for him though since I believe he has direct access to the server. And, well windows server comes with a GUI unlike most linux server distros.

And, a server is a lot different. A lot more detailed security settings but a lot of junk is removed that server would never really use.

In terms of a GUI, Linux and Server 2008 are in the same boat. Both come with a GUI or you can disable it and use CLI only.
The way I figure it, if you aren't capable of managing a server though SSH, you aren't capable of dealing with a Windows server if it breaks.
Pages: 1 2