MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Emails do get lost on their way to Gmail
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everybody,
I spent arround 4 hours in MyBB code, searched the forums here aswell as the german forum and I still don't have a clue what's going on.
I also tried this: link but it did not work.

I hope you can give me some advice.

I am trying to send an email from MyBB to my mail account, ***@gmail.com.
I tried to send it via an other user as direct mail, as mass mail to myself and so on but nothing worked.
MyBB does send the email just fine, there is no error in the logs. However, the emails do never appear in my Gmail account, not in the spam folder, not anywhere else.
If I change my email to an old ***@web.de mailadress the emails are sent properly and I can view them in my old mailsystem.

I found out that not only my gmail is affected but all tested gmail accounts of members, that means no activation emails, no mass mailing, nothing.

So basically this is how it looks like:
MyBB -> Gmail = Lost
MyBB -> GMX/Web.de/other = Works
Other -> Gmail = Works

I did now try and made a simple redirect on my web.de adress, all incoming mail is forwarded to my gmail and that works too.

MyBB -> Web.de -> Gmail = Works

But I can hardly tell all my members they should get a web.de forwarder for their gmail accounts Wink

I am sending using php_mail without additional parameters.
I tried adding [email protected] but it did not work eighter.

Anybody got an idea what's going wrong?
I always get emails to my GMail account. Nothing in any error logs??
I think it's Gmail. I think I heard Lockerz had problems with that too.
This is possible caused by your host modifying mail headers, I suggest you try using SMTP mail and sending from another email account.
According to the logs, mail has been sent. No errors in System-Email-Log.

Email headers are looking properly to me, host does not add something to them as it looks for me.

I'd hate using SMTP so I will wait for further suggestions but if nothing else will work I'll probably do it...
I use and prefer SMTP, since on shared hosting, I usually do not have control over what PHP standard mail() really does. I never verified, but the code looks like it should be re-using the SMTP connection when multiple mails are to be sent (for thread subscriptions and the like), so there shouldn't be an efficiency issue with SMTP either.

No issues receiving mail on my gmail account either. If the mail is sent and you aren't getting anything back (failed delivery etc.) then it's kind of hard to debug...