MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Container of (sub)forums - but not quite category?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Setting up a school parentforum.
At top level I have a general discussion forum concerning everyone, and a forum named "Grades" with subforums for each grade.

I don't want discussion to take place in Grade, only for it to be a container of other forums. In fact, there is no reason to even go there as the individual grades can be reached directly via the display of the subforums on the main site. It's kind of like a category - but making it a category is not appropriate because it would split up the board and Grade belongs on the level it is located at.

1) Is there a standard solution to this? Sub-categories? (BTW, what's the difference between "child forum" and "subforum" - does this have anything to do with it?)
2) If blocking the Grades forum, ("Access options" + uncheck "Forum is open?") then the forum icon becomes red-crossed which misleads people to think the subforums are also locked.
2b) ...not to mention that it looks silly with a permanently red-crossed forum at the top level - can I change that specific forum icon?
2c) In spite of it being blocked, the "Discussions part" shows up below the subforums, which is odd-looking as there are no posts there and never will be.

Thank you!
(2010-04-28, 10:50 AM)amzg Wrote: [ -> ]Setting up a school parentforum.
At top level I have a general discussion forum concerning everyone, and a forum named "Grades" with subforums for each grade.

I don't want discussion to take place in Grade, only for it to be a container of other forums. In fact, there is no reason to even go there as the individual grades can be reached directly via the display of the subforums on the main site. It's kind of like a category - but making it a category is not appropriate because it would split up the board and Grade belongs on the level it is located at.

1) Is there a standard solution to this? Sub-categories? (BTW, what's the difference between "child forum" and "subforum" - does this have anything to do with it?)
2) If blocking the Grades forum, ("Access options" + uncheck "Forum is open?") then the forum icon becomes red-crossed which misleads people to think the subforums are also locked.
2b) ...not to mention that it looks silly with a permanently red-crossed forum at the top level - can I change that specific forum icon?
2c) In spite of it being blocked, the "Discussions part" shows up below the subforums, which is odd-looking as there are no posts there and never will be.

Thank you!

Set the "Grades" forum as a category within another category. Should solve all the above. Smile
Excellent AJS!!
Thank you!