MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mac users.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Actually, Windows was built off of Mac OS. They changed it so much, it really isn't similar because Bill Gates started out building Microsoft Word for Mac.
(2010-04-28, 08:53 PM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-04-28, 06:38 PM)Lyndon Dueck Wrote: [ -> ]Ok so they're running off a UNIX system. Props to them for being smarter than Microsoft as I haven't seen microsoft go and do something like that. Even if they are using someone elses works.

If you had millions of people running Linux, I can assure you there would be nearly as many virus for Linux as there are for Windows

Not really. Millions of people run Linux. You run linux. The only difference is you have control. Sudo does what its told. Unless your stupid and use .debs/.rpms for everything.
I guess it ultimately comes down to personal preference.

People have pointed out that there are not many viruses for Mac and thats why its more secure. Which it is.

I use Mac because of things like that. I am dealing with a virus issue on my mom's windows vista laptop, not to mention her windows xp tower is having astronomical errors. I find my Mac has less of this, but maybe thats just because Windows is easier to create viruses for.

Some people use windows because of the way it works, style, programs, etc. I use Mac because I like the design alot better than Windows, I find it alot cleaner. Though Windows 7 (as much of a Mac Rip as it is) does look nicer and cleaner than previous versions.

I do find that some of my favorite programs are unavailable for Mac or don't work the same. For example, many of my keyboard/expose commands dont work with photoshop. Paint.net isn't available and I had to find a different HTML editor. While for most other programs I have found replacements, and often times better versions, there are the odd few I miss.
How is Win7 a Mac rip? :/ There's only so many ways to do things you know...

I've encountered more problems with Macs than with my PCs. I also can't justify putting out 2x the amount of money for the identical specs. I'm not sure how other people can. If Macs weren't so grossly overpriced I wouldn't mind looking into them.. but even at that they still don't run the programs windows does.
(2010-04-29, 01:54 AM)Lyndon Dueck Wrote: [ -> ]I guess it ultimately comes down to personal preference.

People have pointed out that there are not many viruses for Mac and thats why its more secure. Which it is.

There is less of a chance of getting food poisoning if you don't eat.

Quote:I use Mac because of things like that. I am dealing with a virus issue on my mom's windows vista laptop, not to mention her windows xp tower is having astronomical errors. I find my Mac has less of this, but maybe thats just because Windows is easier to create viruses for.
Tell her to stop clicking ads, or install a non avg/mcaffee virus checker. Windows XP is Easier to create viruses for. Because nothing stops you from installing. If you run XP you should run SUDO for windows Wink

Quote:Some people use windows because of the way it works, style, programs, etc. I use Mac because I like the design alot better than Windows, I find it alot cleaner. Though Windows 7 (as much of a Mac Rip as it is) does look nicer and cleaner than previous versions.

1)http://www.computerworld.com/common/imag...in_508.jpg

Look familiar?
2)Windows 7 is not a mac rip. If anything they ripped from linux on that.
3)Program wise the only thing i couldn't find an osalt garage band. And if you rely on the crap on it, you might as well use LMMS or FL.

Quote:I do find that some of my favorite programs are unavailable for Mac or don't work the same. For example, many of my keyboard/expose commands dont work with photoshop. Paint.net isn't available and I had to find a different HTML editor. While for most other programs I have found replacements, and often times better versions, there are the odd few I miss.

Install Wine for mac. Many work.
I'm talking about the Windows 7 Taskbar. It is pretty much the same as a Mac Dock except for the fact that it has the system tray and start menu.
(2010-04-29, 02:13 AM)Lyndon Dueck Wrote: [ -> ]I'm talking about the Windows 7 Taskbar. It is pretty much the same as a Mac Dock except for the fact that it has the system tray and start menu.

I'm going to pretend you didn't say that, to avoid me starting a flame war.
Well it is. You can drag and rearrange programs that are always at the bottom of your screen. Like a Dock.

When you open a program, it is highlighted, similar to that of a Mac.

It's super similar.

It's like they took their Taskbar system (Old version I liked more) and tried to "Mac it Up" if you will. Microsoft should try to be Microsoft and not Apple, because they're not.
Macs are blazing fast, and sexy at the same time. My MacBook Pro 13" is faster than my HP Pavilion with 8GB RAM. Apple has perfected a way of making applications not running at full level use very low, if nothing, of the processer or memory. I can leave Photoshop running on my Mac, and it runs perfectly. If I leave Photoshop running on my PC, it lags. It also takes a few minutes to boot up my PC, while it takes less than a minute on my Mac. I love the Mac OS X interface, and it doesn't come at a performance price like Aero does on Windows 7.

Everyone just nags on Apple because they're so damn expensive. If they were a bit cheaper, people would change their opinions.
I'm anti-Mac for various reasons but to save having to argue my personal opinion I will just say this: Mac's have been proven superior for high quality video/graphic design. Any reputable school that specializes in art/design will provide both Mac based PCs and Windows based PCs (normally less of the later) and a side-by-side comparison will show you why the Windows based PCs are not use for course work. Wink

Mac rendering farm > Windows rendering farm (in terms of pure speed)
I would also like to point out that in my years of continuing education and experience in the field of IT I have never encountered a Mac in school or in the field. I've never seen any Mac specific classes offered in any of the schools I have attended, nor have I ever seen any Mac specific training offered in any training center I have been to.

I'm not saying they aren't out there, but I feel that this is why they are less used of a professional setting and thus why Microsoft has a higher user base and more security issues (a virus designed for stealing information will provide more valuable data from a company than a home user). This is one of the reasons why I feel that home users are not longer the primary target for malicious code (even viruses specific to social networking sites).
Pages: 1 2 3 4