MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How hide stuff on the initial log-in page?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there a plugin to make that "log in or register" page a LOT more discrete and non-informative? Or how do I do this?

No "top level" forum name showing. No icons for Search, member list etc No link saying "Register" (as no over-the-web registration will be accepted.

Only Login, Password, Forgotten-password and a Contact Admin link.

Ideally even no "Powered By MyBB, © 2002-2010 MyBB Group." because I don't want to give a clue to which board type it concerns, for security reasons.

I appreciate all your help!

Smile
By removing the MyBB copyright line and the link back to our website, you will no longer be entitled to support on our forums.
Could you please give us a URL if you wish to continue so we can verify you have the Powered By line.
Thanks for your replies and don't worry. Really.
I have no intention to violate any rules. I deeply respect the open source community and participate in a few projects myself.

I mentioned that in the very question to hear what solutions are possible, and to convey how anonymous an impression I want to convey. For instance; maybe I should have a separate site directly on my main domain site but that it somehow transfers the entered login name over to the board login page. It's just that I have no clue how to do something like that.

Look, anyone who wants to erase that particular text string can easily do so by opening the file in an editor and do a search. So if that is anyones intention then they wouldn't bring it up here. Thus, that is not my intention. I'm raising a fair qeustion because I would like to hear your thoughts on various alternatives.

My reason for asking this whole matter is because I'm creating the forum for an elementary school. This school is under constant threat and puts in a lot of effort on security. I have my own children there too. Security is a major concernt for the whole school in everything that is done and considering that this webforum is a private initiative of mine, as a parent, then I really need to make sure that things are experienced as safe. (I will even manually register all 250 parent names after manually collecting them. I cannot put up a public sign asking for parents to sign up their names and the school won't even give out my fellow parents email-addresses for fear they might spread). The reason there isn't already any school forum is... well, take a guess. I'm doing this privately because I think there is still a need to communicate and if the school can't officially endorse something like that, some parents like myself are willing to take the risk privately.

If you have any other safety recommendations, paticularly to protect from external attacks then I would love to hear them.

Peace, friends.

Smile
Is there a reason that you think MyBB is unsafe? We wouldn't knowingly have our members operate software that is vulnerable to any types of attacks.

We know that the text can easily be removed, we're not arguing that - we're just saying that if you do remove that, we take it as you are no longer supporting us and therefore we no longer support you.

Without having further information from you - all I can say is everything you want to achieve can be done by looking at your templates via the Admin CP. Or just about. Smile
(2010-04-30, 03:27 PM)Ryan Loos Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a reason that you think MyBB is unsafe? We wouldn't knowingly have our members operate software that is vulnerable to any types of attacks.
No, no reason. Safety is just a greater concern for this case that for most.

(2010-04-30, 03:27 PM)Ryan Loos Wrote: [ -> ]We know that the text can easily be removed, we're not arguing that - we're just saying that if you do remove that, we take it as you are no longer supporting us and therefore we no longer support you.
I of course fully understand that. I will state the same way when I evetually get knowledgable enough to help others here. I'm with you 100%. IMO, if someone did that they simply wouldn''t deserve to use it.
I, on the other hand, am asking a fair question about what options there are. I ask humbly. I ask because I'm a newbie. Really guys, you make me feel accused here. Undecided

(2010-04-30, 03:27 PM)Ryan Loos Wrote: [ -> ]Without having further information from you - all I can say is everything you want to achieve can be done by looking at your templates via the Admin CP. Or just about. Smile
THANK YOU RYAN! That is the first actual help anyone has given me in this thread. Thank you. I will then look even more even more in the CP!

Smile
Saved this as a draft earlier but forgot to post it Toungue

I can completely see your logic in wanting this if it's a school environment. If you don't want any of that stuff to show you can just remove it from the templates (as has been mentioned), as well as fully disabling things like registration (i.e. so you can't just go to the page directly, if you did it'd still say it's disabled). The login/register page you mentioned (no permissions page) has it's own template too and the text that shows is in language files which you can change if needs be. As for general safety, staying up to date is probably the most important thing, but there's other things you can do, rename the admin folder, use a secret user as an admin that looks like a regular user, htaccess password protection on the ACP so only certain people can access it etc etc. Essentially you can lock it down as much as you like, may require some extra code to disable some things but shouldn't be anything big. There have been thoughts to offer paid support for people who want to remove the powered by message, which could be applicable for you; actually hadn't considered forums for schools etc.
Our aim is not to accuse you of anything, but we're not about to help you remove our copyright line. Toungue Furthermore, we're not going to offer you support if you are intending to remove our copyright.

Back to the issue of support though (in addition to Matt's post), if you need any more guidance please provide more details as to what you want to achieve. At the moment we can only give you small hints due to the amount of information you've given us.

Best of luck!