MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: mybb optimization
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
few users on my forum reported slow response with the forums, but others seem to be fine, myself included, so I'm trying to do everything possible to speed it up.

the only thing I did was turn on gzip compression..any other suggestions?
likely the route your users are taking to your site that is impacting the responsiveness. Now, if it was applying to all users or at least a common MyBB user group, then it may be the forum software, but I doubt that is your problem
(2010-05-04, 09:10 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]likely the route your users are taking to your site that is impacting the responsiveness. Now, if it was applying to all users or at least a common MyBB user group, then it may be the forum software, but I doubt that is your problem

I agree, but I'd also like to know what I can do to optimize mybb.
it is pretty well optimized.

i have no issues with 67 forums, 10 categories, 12,262 members, 1,010,558 posts (421 new today), 92,037 threads (337 new today), 533MB of forum attachments,
and that includes about 30 active plugins and my own custom plugin/addons like my "garage" with nearly 5200 entries that have over 6100 uploaded/attached images (227 MB)
(2010-05-04, 09:48 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]it is pretty well optimized.

i have no issues with 67 forums, 10 categories, 12,262 members, 1,010,558 posts (421 new today), 92,037 threads (337 new today), 533MB of forum attachments,
and that includes about 30 active plugins and my own custom plugin/addons like my "garage" with nearly 5200 entries that have over 6100 uploaded/attached images (227 MB)

paveman..I'm talking about tweaking the server & optimization settings in the admin cp...what should I change to improve the performance..
just gzip at 4 or better and then turn off template comments (less data to transmit). that is about it for MyBB things you can change.

if you know what accelerators your host uses for PHP, you can mess with memcache or eAccelerator to change where the cache is stored. those are set in the config.php. i use basic db with my setup and its fine.

also, if you are using mysql, see if mysqli is available. its a hair faster overall.

if you are not on a virtual server, you can tweak the hardware/software configurations on the machine itself. i run two HDDs, one for the OS and the other for MySQL. that way the I/O is separate and more efficient. tweak the database server settings to improve memory usage, cache size, table limits, etc. tweak apache maxchilds, maxconnections,stayalive,etc settings to find your max performance.
I don't suppose you have OpenSSL installed and are running 1.4.12 by any chance?

Either way, I would make sure your running the latest version.
(2010-05-05, 12:43 AM)TimB. Wrote: [ -> ]I don't suppose you have OpenSSL installed and are running 1.4.12 by any chance?

Either way, I would make sure your running the latest version.

as far as I know, no...we are running 1.4.13
Remove unused profile fields, only thing i can think of.
How big is your board and what type of hosting are you using? Really there should be no need for any optimization beyond the default configuration unless you have a really big board or a really crummy host.
Pages: 1 2 3 4