MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: OMG. Look at this "Windows-Replacement" Operating System (An Open Source OS)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Guys. I found this operating system that wants to replace Windows, and I must say I am SO impressed by this.

I've NEVER heard of it etc yet it's been in development since the 90's!

I read about it on Wikipedia today and I feel SO bad because it's considered as "hobby" software and not taken seriously ONLY because it's not known by many people, not funded, nor has a lot of developers. Wikipedia actually says that's the reason why it's considered "hobby" software.

I am definitely interested in this software and plan to donate for its development. It's developed purely in C & C++, and mostly compatible with most Windows software, games, and hardware.

It makes sense because why like go to an entirely different OS like Linux when something like this is here? Well I don't know this OS really interests me. I hope it interests you too.

If you can after reading this please spread the word! This really can be something. It's open source so it needs everybody's help guys. If anybody develops C & C++, think about contributing to this!

Anyway, it's called ReactOS.

Read about it here:
http://www.reactos.org/en/about.html

Look at the amazing screenshots here:
http://www.reactos.org/en/screenshots.html

Now it's made to be just like Windows but free. I think it has massive potential.

It's not fully compatible with everything & still being developed. I hope we can all spread the word out to get donations and developers. This OS really interests me. It uses WINE to help for more compatibility but most of its compatibility is uniquely coded.

Here's just two pics to get you interested: Smile

Desktop:
[Image: ros_033_programs.jpg]

Unreal Tournament (Game!):
[Image: ros_033_ut_3.png]

Doesn't lose graphics even gaming!

Hope you guys spread the word! I'm so excited about this I really hope I can help pick this up. I feel bad it only has a handful of developers. It has so much potential.

It really can rival Windows since it's already got the base, the layout everybody likes and is used to..everything. It's more secure etc..offers what Linux has, but it's already there.

I'm going to test this out on a spare PC and recommend everyone the same. =]

Thanks for reading and please spread the word! Always support open source, just like MyBB! <33
I knew about this but really if your 100% dependent on Windows only software and it won't run under wine then your probably going to have trouble with ReactOs and you might as well run Windows.

If your not dependent on Windows only software you might as well run Linux.

Thats just the way I see it, though I have to say the thought behind it is fantastic.
(2010-05-05, 06:13 AM)TimB. Wrote: [ -> ]I knew about this but really if your 100% dependent on Windows only software and it won't run under wine then your probably going to have trouble with ReactOs and you might as well run Windows.

If your not dependent on Windows only software you might as well run Linux.

Thats just the way I see it, though I have to say the thought behind it is fantastic.

Oh wow you've heard about this? Have you tried it by any chance?
I really wonder how well it performs being written in C & C++.
Heard about it, tried using it, wouldn't install. Sad
(2010-05-05, 06:15 AM)EGS Wrote: [ -> ]Oh wow you've heard about this? Have you tried it by any chance?
I really wonder how well it performs being written in C & C++.

I'm fairly sure the Linux kernel is written in C and Windows is a mixture of C & C++ so it's not really revolutionary in the sense of what it was programmed in.

I think I first herd about it a few years ago when their code was being audited by Microsoft to make sure they weren't violating any of their patents.....
Oh wow I never knew Linux was coded in C/C++. I always thought, well..somehow I always thought different/unique operating systems like invented their own programming language which was the base of their operating system which read and understood it and functions from the unique programming language.

I really hope I can grow attention to this. The project is very interesting & could use a lot of help especially from developers.

I know it's got a way to go but what I'm seeing is a revolutionary new operating system alternative that functions just like/as Windows but for free compatible with most software/hardware etc.

With that developed..well just look at it this way. It's almost the base of what people want in an operating system, especially Windows users looking for alternatives. It's what Linux wants when they try to offer desktop distros to replace Windows.

It offers the same interface and functionality as Windows including ease-of-use and familiar look & feel, making Windows to this OS migration swift & easy. With that being said, it's open source and could open the doors for many other open source operating systems to take the code and implement it into their own operating systems.

From this one base OS, we could have OS that offer same functionality in look & feel as well as backwards-compatibility for Windows users, but with way faster operating systems making computing a breeze and more secure faster more stable etc. Could you imagine this OS being an alternative, Linux using this and being an alternative, and Unix-like OSs such as BSD and others using this as a base for interface and some functionality? Migrating from Windows would be a breeze and promoted. Who'd want Windows over open source that does the same, is as easy, looks & feels similar, yet outperforms and is more secure than Windows?

I see a real potential here. They've already created something that looks feels and functions like Windows, and are still developing the best compatibility which would be the best feature to offer.

Migration would be so simple why wouldn't you do it?
ReactOS is really buggy and in alpha development... Get Ubuntu 10.04 which kicks lime. Add WINE to it (you can install it via the software installer repository) and you can run windows exactly how ReactOS does, the exact same coding.

If you REALLY love the windows look get Ylmf which is a windows XP clone built on Ubuntu.

Since ReactOS now uses WINE there's no reason not to go with Ubuntu or Ylmf. ReactOS is dying while Ubuntu has millions of users. Don't believe me? Just swing by the ubuntu forums.

Alternatively if WINE doesn't fit your needs for gaming try Cedega.

On a side note Ubuntu 10.04 is better than Windows 7 and Snow Leopard. (It came out like 5 days ago)
http://lunduke.com/?p=1095
Quote:Get Ubuntu 10.04 which kicks lime. Add WINE to it (you can install it via the software installer repository) and you can run windows exactly how ReactOS does, the exact same coding.

ReactOs is binary compatible, so it's compatible on a much deeper lever than Ubuntu and WINE is only used an extension, most of the coding is unique.

Quote:Oh wow I never knew Linux was coded in C/C++.

Yeah, the Kernel is mostly in C, and all the UI stuff is mostly and C++ with some random Python thrown in - depends which Distro though obviously. Same as Microsoft (who also write 20000 lines of the current Linux Kernel) whose kernel is in C/C++ and some default applications extend to other Microsoft developed languages (C#).

And back on topic, I could not get ReactOS to install properly , so tried on my laptop and got it working, but it's a rather buggy system.
Old news and it's developing way to slow. By the time they have stable release the latest software won't work on it.
I've used reactos, its just wine really,
Pages: 1 2 3