MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Having trouble with some Emails
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Guys and Gals,

Having trouble with some email, not all email.

Using PHP mail.
I can send mass emails out and they do indeed get to the members.
I can also send PMs which get to the members.
The only thing not working is the PM notifications. They are not being sent and I get this message in the error log.

Quote:MyBB was unable to send the email using the PHP mail() function.

I find that odd since I can send other emails.

Any ideas for a simpleton?

Thanks,
Cynthia
Take a look at this: http://wiki.mybboard.net/index.php/Help:Mail

Also try using SMTP rather than PHP mail.
Hi TimB,

So sorry to drag you back to this post.

I ran the php mail test you linked to above and browser showed Mail was sent by PHP and I indeed got the email quickly.

We are able to send mass emails but not member to member emails, PM notifications and subscribed thread update notices. All have same error message.

MyBB was unable to send the email using the PHP mail() function.

The SMPT mail has problems of another nature I don't want to trouble you with so can I pick your brain for any further suggestions on why some php mails work and others don't?

Regards,
Cynthia
Can you try uploading a fresh copy of ./inc/class_mailhandler.php and make sure your running the latest version.
(2010-06-04, 08:47 AM)Tim B. Wrote: [ -> ]Can you try uploading a fresh copy of ./inc/class_mailhandler.php and make sure your running the latest version.

Hi Tim,
You have company calling, unfortunately it is ME again. Shy Before we migrate to Linux on Sunday I thought I should give this mail problem one more try since I am scared of effing something up during the move. (If the mail problem went away we would not make the move)The site belongs to a friend of mine and she has 206 members now and Lord Help Me Jeebus I don't want to mess up her site.

So here are my latest questions. I had a side by side look at the php file mentioned above on my local drive and the uploaded site. No changes were noticed between the two. When you said upload a fresh copy, would I get a new copy of that PHP file from my original install package or can I download just that file from here on this site?

Also, when following the instructions from the wiki help site, specifically this part:

Quote:If your webhost has restricted that only mails from there own domain is allowed, try to edit the file inc/functions.php. Look for:

mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);and include above: ini_set("sendmail_from", " [email protected] ");
Then it should look like this:

ini_set("sendmail_from", " [email protected] ");
mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);YOURDOMAIN must be replaced by the domain where the forum is hosted.

I don't find that exact line quoted above in the code. I find this one which is somewhat similar.

function my_mail($to, $subject, $message, $from="", $charset="", $headers="", $keep_alive=false, $format="text", $message_text="", $return_email="")

Is that the correct line to add the additional data above? My host says they have no restrictions on PHP mail but I thought I might try this out.

Also, do you or any of the genius birds/blokes that you work with here ever rent yourselves out for side jobs? Seriously!

Regards,
Cynthia
You can download a vanilla package of your version from http://wiki.mybboard.net/index.php/Versions to get files from.

Also, function my_mail is different to the PHP mail function.

Can I suggest you try SMTP but use an external SMTP email account such as a hotmail account.
Tried the SMTP again this morning after getting a support ticket reply from Godaddy. Error log now says: The mail server does not understand the mail from command. Reason: 553 sorry, your mail was admin denied. (#5.7.1)

I will downlaod a vanilla package as suggested above.

And before I lose all self respect and become to embarrassed to ask, how do you tell the mail function to use an outside hotmail account? Maybe this is the problem all along as I have never input any specifics about which email to use other than the few questions asked on the config - mail settings page in the cp.

I did find this in the php info section of the tools & maint tab in the cp.

Send mail from [email protected]
Send mail path no value

Thanks for your patience with me,
Cynthia
I don't want to jump the gun but the PHP mail issue may be solved. I followed the directions in this thread. http://community.mybb.com/thread-61040.h...+error+553

The few test mails I sent actually went out. I am testing a PM notification email now. YES, I just got the PM notification. Ohhhh my, what a long haul.

Thanks so very very much Tim for all of your time and energies. One problem solved but something tells me you will still see my face around here for a long time to come.

Regards,
Cynthia