MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: No being patriotic!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I just noticed a post on one of my own forums... someone was, understandably, annoyed by the fact that children were sent home for wearing shirts with American Flags on them to a school in California...simply because it's Cinco De Mayo.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/06/cal...latestnews

Makes me wonder...would ANY other country pull this? Seriously...
Well you would probably be sent home here in Australia, but thats because here students have to wear a uniform to school :p

Seriously though, from the sounds of it the students intended to provoke tensions any way. It's just another media bash up if you ask me and on their claims of patriotism, I think it would be more accurate to say that the principles actions were intended to prevent "un-American" behavior (ie. provoke ethic disputes) rather than trying to diminish patriotism as the article suggests.
LOL well that's a little different... the school in question didn't require uniforms.
First off it's from fox the most conservative news channels right now. So they would report on this because if you aren't a white male or part of the tea party you hate america according to them Toungue.

Second I don't see the big deal for either side. I mean what if they didn't know it was Cinco De Mayo(I'm sorry but I don't know when it is). And, even if it is what does it matter if they were a shirt with an american flag. All people at the school should be american anyway. Cinco De Mayo is to celebrate the dead and maybe he has lost families members in war. So either way I don't think the people should have been sent home or that this should have been news.
(2010-05-07, 02:46 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]First off it's from fox the most conservative news channels right now. So they would report on this because if you aren't a white male or part of the tea party you hate america according to them Toungue.

So tell me, what news station here in the US is absolutely totally ubiased?
K well I'm not exactly on either particular side and this wasn't meant as a political issue for me so much as "this is stupid - who cares if they wear their country's flag on their shirts in their own country?"

As for Cinco De Mayo
Cinco = 5
De = of
Mayo = May

Therefor Cinco De Mayo = 5th of May, both in the sense of it occurring on that day and in the sense of the literal translation.
Do you even know why the Mexicans celebrate Cinco de Mayo?

The Mexicans celebrate Cinco de Mayo as their own Independence Day, as you might say. The day marks when the Mexicans fought back against the French, with only shovels and sticks, and won. They did not win the war officially, but the battle was a step forward towards Mexico's independence.

How many days out of the year do these kids wear American flag shirts and bandanas? Huh? You can't tell me everyday. This was clearly planned (for some of them), and they're just lying to make the conservatives go even more gah-gah. I think a student or two may have been thrown in wrongly, but the kids wearing bandanas knew well what they were doing.
So then your stance is that the kids were doing this to upset the Mexican ones? Ummmmm....I don't know about anyone else, but if I went to Mexico and someone was wearing a Mexican flag article on July 4th, I wouldn't get worked up about it because it's their country. Seriously, I don't see it as a big deal. To be honest, though, I don't even see a problem with the Mexicans (or any other nationality) wearing articles to do with THEIR native lands in THIS country either...but I'm just crazy like that.
(2010-05-07, 02:57 AM)lufbra Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-05-07, 02:46 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]First off it's from fox the most conservative news channels right now. So they would report on this because if you aren't a white male or part of the tea party you hate america according to them Toungue.

So tell me, what news station here in the US is absolutely totally ubiased?

None, I'm just saying this would be something that would come from a very conservative news station Toungue. I won't lie I still watch it. I watch 3 different news channels (CNN, MSNBC, and Fox). I also watch cnbc but that's mostly just economics and not news.
Quote:First off it's from fox the most conservative news channels right now.

Completely irrelevant to the story. If you have problems with how it was reported or facts then state them.

Quote:Cinco De Mayo is to celebrate the dead and maybe he has lost families members in war.

It's not an American holiday. Not even close.

Quote:Second I don't see the big deal for either side.

Oh? Really you don't see a problem with American students in an American school being told they can't wear an American flag because of a Mexican holiday from a Hispanic principle? I don't see anywhere in this story how these clothes created a disruption. Nor do I see how any Mexicans or those celebrating Cinco De Mayo were oppressed.

I have a real issue with a school doing what it did and these parents are going to likely win a suit against them. Probably settle well before hitting a court because this is going to be a huge embarassment for them.
Pages: 1 2