MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [Release]Sideboxes By Nayar
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Here's my attempt to make a sidebox plugin for MyBB

Feature list:
1.No template is edited by the plugin leaving your templates intact.(This feature may be disabled in the future)
2.You can choose whether to display the boxes on the left or on the right.
3.You can set the order of for each individual boxes.
4.You get additional boxes for other uses.
5.Choose whether to display on Index,Forumdisplay,showthread.
6.Add the additional boxes to portal also.
7.Order affects portal page also.

Installation
1. Upload the file in your plugin directory
2. Activate the plugin in the ACP
3. Go to ACP>configuration>Sidebox(Beta).
4. Modify the settings
5. Save

Uninstallation
1. Deactivate the plugin in the ACP

Read the License first before using this plugin
Live demonstration:
Site 1
Site 2
See the changelog
Mod approved.
Download here:
http://mods.mybboard.net/view/sidebox

[attachment=18218][attachment=18219][attachment=18221]
Very nice Smile
Thanks Smile

Please give feedbacks whether it works or not.
This will have serious compatibility issues, just like Pirata found out when using this method of template cache modification for his ShoutBox plugin. I wouldn't use it.

There is also a lot of duplicated code that could be functionalized.

Also you don't allow for anywhere near the features of the SCD Side Boxes. Of course that requires a subscription and I guess yours is free, so thats a plus Smile Also I'm obviously partial to the SCD one, since I wrote it... but also because of its far superior feature set to any other Side Box plugin out or (now that this is there) in development.

My concerns however are honest ones, so you should be looking into other ways to modify your templates during runtime. And make functions of all your repeated code, it'll slim things down a lot.
Quote:Also you don't allow for anywhere near the features of the SCD Side Boxes
What is SCD? i can't understand what you are saying.

Can you give me a link to where pirata reported this so that i may understand better?
I used template cache because
1. labrocca did not change templates in his plugin :p
2. setting for left,right would be difficult to do.
I guess i'll need to find a way to slim the code and do normal template edits. Don't know why runnning portal_start hook doesn't do the task of generating the sideboxes :/
I am 100% php n00b.
Ooooh thats awesome! Good work, I'll be using this.
Pirata didn't "report" it I don't think. But is rewriting his Shoutbox with a different method of on the fly template modification because it causes compatibility issues. He told me this in a PM when I was discussing it with him.

SCD is Skin City Designs, which is where you can find all my plugins. My Side Box plugin does modify templates however, instead of trying to do it on the fly. I found this to be a better option in order to provide all the features we wanted.

I also took a second look at this now that I'm more awake (morning now lol) and I see there isn't as much duplicated code as I first thought. So the only real issue is that template cache incompatibility. And this looks pretty good for a free Side Box plug.
I'd also recommend working on some better indentation, not trying to be rude but your code looks horrible. (Not because of the way it's written (didn't look at the code itself) but because of the way it's structured)

If you open brackets, do a new tab the next line:
	if ()
	{
		ssaadssadsad
Pirata has a good point on the indentation. Smile
(2010-05-10, 05:54 PM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]I'd also recommend working on some better indentation, not trying to be rude but your code looks horrible. (Not because of the way it's written (didn't look at the code itself) but because of the way it's structured)

If you open brackets, do a new tab the next line:
	if ()
	{
		ssaadssadsad

This is my first time coding.My first encounter with php was 1 month ago when i opened a plugin using notepad++. I don't know any other programming language except foxpro which i learned at school(very basic). i googled every single php commands and looked at how other plugins were made and did this one by trial and error until i got what i wanted. I will try do clean up the code a bit.

(2010-05-10, 03:31 PM)ralgith Wrote: [ -> ]I also took a second look at this now that I'm more awake (morning now lol) and I see there isn't as much duplicated code as I first thought. So the only real issue is that template cache incompatibility. And this looks pretty good for a free Side Box plug.
What do you mean by compatibility issues?
Different versions of mybb or different themes/templates?
Incompatibility of themes/templates would be more serious.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions Smile
Pages: 1 2 3