MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Important Bug in vBulletin to MyBB Conversion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

I have installed MyBB, Then converted my vBulletin Board to it.
There is an important bug.
MyBB does not delete default category ( My first category ), default forum ( My First Forum ) , Default topic ( My first topic ) , and the default user board ( admin ) before conversion .
This will cause problems.
For example if it does not delete old user(s) (such as admin) and merge the vBulletin users, the User ID of vBulletin users plus one number.
For example "Saeed" has user id #39 in vBulletin, then it has user id #40 in MyBB .
Isn't it ?
What MyBB does is it merges what you already have with the stuff you are converting. Therefore, yes, it will do that and is not a bug.
Yes by definition it doesn't delete anything. There is no default topic in MyBB anyway, and it doesn't know if you've used those two forums or not, some people just rename them.
Hi there,

What about default member ?
phpBB first empty the table, then start conversion.
I suggest mybb first ask, then if answered yes, empty database and start merge.
Also, Most of the times we need to re-merge the system. Please make this feature available. For example we can re-merge private messages without any problems.
Because MyBB doesn't simply import data to an empty database, hence it being called the merge system and not the import system. You can have a million posts and a thousand users in a MyBB forum, and a million posts and a thousand members in a vB forum, and merge them so there's two million posts and two thousand members in the MyBB forum. It merges them, not just import. If you don't want those default MyBB forums to stay, I don't know why you can't just delete them in the ACP first...
(2010-05-14, 05:00 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Because MyBB doesn't simply import data to an empty database, hence it being called the merge system and not the import system. You can have a million posts and a thousand users in a MyBB forum, and a million posts and a thousand members in a vB forum, and merge them so there's two million posts and two thousand members in the MyBB forum. It merges them, not just import. If you don't want those default MyBB forums to stay, I don't know why you can't just delete them in the ACP first...

Sorry, I mean first ask to empty the table? And then start migration.
Also, re-migrate is a good feature too.

Wrist making :
When we have 1000 members in mybb and 1000 ones in vBulletin, what will occur if there was a member on mybb called "john" and another one in vBulletin with the same user name ?!?!?!
(2010-05-14, 05:10 PM)smartgig Wrote: [ -> ]When we have 1000 members in mybb and 1000 ones in vBulletin, what will occur if there was a member on mybb called "john" and another one in vBulletin with the same user name ?!?!?!

Thats the beauty of the "merge" system. If they are in fact the same user (same username and email) they become a single user. If they are NOT, then the merge system appends something to their username and you have to manually assign them a new username in the Admin CP if they don't want the funky username from the merger.
(2010-05-14, 04:57 PM)smartgig Wrote: [ -> ]Hi there,

What about default member ?
phpBB first empty the table, then start conversion.
I suggest mybb first ask, then if answered yes, empty database and start merge.
Also, Most of the times we need to re-merge the system. Please make this feature available. For example we can re-merge private messages without any problems.

Actually, most forums have been moving towards merging rather than dump and delete. MyBB was always like this since the merge script started, and ImpEx on vBulletin works the same way. Actually, even IPB 3.0's conversion service became merge rather than empty and import. Besides, if you ever have to merge two forums, how would you do it in phpBB?
OK !
Just what about re-migration ?! Isn't it a useful feature ?
Also ask the user to empty the table or not ?!
There's not going to be an option to empty the table. As has been said many times, it defeats the point of the merge system, and would take about 30 seconds to empty yourself.
Pages: 1 2